Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA roll bar Cam Corder bracket

Tony Martyr

After two attampts I have finally developed a strong but light 4mm thick aluminium bracket for mounting a Sony digiCam. The one side plate bolts to the FIA bar brace hole above the passengers head. The camera is fitted with a slide-in mount obtained from a camera shop and intended to give quick changes on a tripod head. The side plate forms one side, 100mm long x 50mm wide aliuminium angles form the front face and the base. Fitting and dismouting is very easy although I fit two velcro cable ties for security.

A high speed test this morning gave excellent results.

One problem - wind noise.

Clearly I am going to have to get an auxillary microphone rigged into the car, to record the right noises and odd merry quip (?). At present the mic is on the top of the camera and too exposed. I have enough bits left over to make a second one if anybody in Worcestershire is interested (except for the mounting unit which costs 7 pounds from Jessops)

Alex,

I will give you a bag of bits plus photo of the final assembly at the next club night. I decided not to do the more complex mod which allows the camera to be tilted because I wanted all the screws to be locked rather than rely on hand adjusted that might fall off at the wrong moment.