Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

single or double axel

Colin R

We've been to our first track event in N. California and had the time of our lives. We'd like to get a trailer for our Seven and are asking opinions. Do we need a double axle trailer? Single axle's are cheaper, but . . . *confused*

If anyone stateside can offer examples of what they are using that'd be great.

Thanks

No need to have a twin axle to carry a seven IMO. I have owned both single and twin axle trailers both have the advantages and dissadvantages. Single less drag easier to pull, less tyre scrub when making tight turns, cheaper, less to wear and maintainance. dissadvantage can sink into soft ground easier than a twin, its maximum loading will be limited by the rating of the two wheels/tyres typically 1000Kg per axle when using 8 ply tyres. The twin main advantage is its increased load carring capacity, It has not been my experience that the twin is any more stable even when getting a puncture as twins like the popular Minno run with 4ply unreinforced tyres when you get a puncture on one wheel the remaining wheel on that side is then overloaded which makes the trailer unsafe, obviously if 8 ply tyres were to be fitted all round this would avoid this problem. A twin can also unbalance the tow vehicle, having four trailer brakes being more effective than the rears on the tow vehicle.

When building my latest trailer I was influenced by all these nonsense coments about how much more stable a twin axle trailer is so I built a twin axle minno clone, the axle manufacture even tried his best to talk some sense into me saying you do not need twin axles to carry a light car such the seven. I wished I had listened. IMO single axle with 13" wheels and good quality reinforced 8 ply tyres is the most cost effective and best option.

There is a definate argument in favour of twin axles when applied to a caravan or high sided trailer. The caravan being a good example, very light and high sided any side wind and its blown all over the place. the four wheels help stability.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 30 Nov 2003 21:46:28