Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Front upper balljoints

Gridgway

Graham,

I have found if you put pressure on the bottom of the upright, using a second jack, thus placing pressure on the taper section the the new nylock should (usually!) go on and the tapered section does not turn with it.

Hope that helps,

Matt.

Sounds very unusual......

Did you jack the car under the chassis when you removed the non nylock ? If yes, drop it on its wheels first so the joint is under pressure.

Also degrease both the hole in the upright and the taper on the ball joint

Edited by - ECR on 3 Dec 2003 13:15:14

Mine is definitely tapered 😬

My car was still on axle stands when I tightened mine. I did the nyloc nut up until it just started to rotate the balljoint and then applied hand pressure with as much body weight behind (above) it as possible and then continued to gently tighten - no problem. I had applied a VERY small amount of grease to the joint before insertion *eek*

Once the taper has "bitten" it becomes quite difficult to "break", as I found out when I wanted to replace the cycle wing stay.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

The whole point of the joint, is that the taper is an exact fit, therefore you should be able to do up the nuts, with only slight pressure applied to the top of the joint. Most will do up by just leaning on the top of the joint.

If the car is a de-dion all should be well, if its a live axle with trunnions and adj top wishbones, then you will probably find it has the wrong rod end, as the taper on a live axle upright is different to the one on a non trunnion upright.