Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wanted: Caterham 7 below £10K

arukum17

Looking to provide a new home for a nice, classic, orginal Caterham with the following spec.

Anything interesting please email pics of your beauties and / or details to arun.kumar@uk.abnmaro.com

Minimum spec:

post 1996, non-Q

Vauxhall or K series

Painted body

Non-tracked

Immaculate / original / unmodified

Price < £10,000

Prefer but not essential

Someone close to London or accessable by train with journey time <1.5 hrs

Original Caterham branded parts (e.g. grill, harness, steering wheel, seats etc)

A nice dark metallic colour (blue, burgundy, red, green) but also yellow ('cause The Wife likes it)

Thank you

-Arun

Hmmmm, difficult spec for the price.

Mine's reasonably close:

1998 VX in dark metallic blue with black wings & nose

And it's only £7500!

But, it's on a Q plate, is an ex-Graduate racer, mechanically excellent.

With the saving, you could customise it to your spec!

Based in Surrey, if you're interested.

Tel 07899 941 921

Ha ha ha ha ha! Immaculate non tracked post-96 K series under 10k, that's a good one! If you find two meeting your criteria let me know, I'll trade the other for a profit!

Seriously you will struggle, you are into unraced Vx only or ex race Ks, or older cars, at that price. Why not accept a bit of use and do one up? A respray with a couple of bits of new plastic is under a grand - my 1.4kss was cheap and hasn't cost me a huge sum to make roadworthy. OK it could do with a sprayjob, but then they all could after 20k or so.

You will find most 7s are modified, it's the nature of the beast. Vauxhalls less so as they appeal to the silver-haired enthusiast, having carbs etc and being generally less responsive to tuning.

Cars like the one above are worth examining, they are unlikely to sink below that sort of value for a long time if kept in good nick. Remember a 15 year old Xflow changes hands for the thick end of 6k upwards, absolute minimum 5K unless totally worn out. At that rate you could keep it for 10 years and lose under 2k in depreciation!

Good luck!

I have a P reg 1.6K series supersport (135BHP), cycle wings, competition exhaust, detachable momo steering wheel, minilights with yoko 32Rs, spare wheel, full weather gear, starter button, metalllic blue in very good condition (47K miles done) - all for 9900 if you are interested,

give me a call on 01980 635042

Quote: "What about a high mileage K series?"

Yes, good car. More difficult to sell after 50k IWHT, for no good reason but there you are.

Does respraying really impact the value that much? Yes, the paint leads a hard life and after a few years they look scruffy. Nobody wants a nice sports car unless it's nice and shiny.

Scruffy cars are hard to sell. But don't be afraid of one that's had a spray if that's what you mean. Equally be happy to buy one with poor paint that's nice and cheap - 7 or 8 hundred extra and you can have it in any colour you want, and it will add enormously to its value.

I'd be looking at that one above IIWY, seriously.