Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 Super Sprint "Advice Needed"

Big Brother

Please can anyone give me some advice on a car I am thinking of buying.

The car has a 1992-3 Super Sprint 1700cc engine, fitted with a Kent 244 cam and webber 45 carbs. The head, competition exhaust and carbs were prepared by "arrows"?

Who are they? (F1?)

The car is fitted with Yoko A021 Rs on Minilites and has covered approx 21,000 miles. Condition is "standard"

Can anyone give me an estimate of what this car is worth?

Thanks

Steve

"Out of the frying pan........"

Bought my 1700xf from caterham within last 6 months. Value approx £9250/9750, depending on spec. De Dion units hold better price. Modified engines, even slightly, can be tricky. 40DCOE's are the standard carbs. If used for track work negotiate. Arrows or Arrowstar??? Arrowstar not altogether popular with some folk i believe.

Edited by - John Whyman on 24 Mar 2001 10:51:48

If it's a 'Q' plater car, then the value will be in the 'bits' of the car,

i.e. the engine, box, interior etc:

If I were buying a seven that was a Q, with x-flow power of that vintage I'd be reluctant to pay more than 8k, but then i'm tight[!]

In some ways you'd be better to buy a car with a knackered motor and spend cash on a motor you'd want, (motor = engine !)

just my tuppence worth .....

I bought a De Dion Supersprint 1700 Crossflow with 45mm carbs last December. It had 16,000 miles on the clock at the time. I was very disappointed to find out that even at this low mileage the engine needs new pistons and rings. The Crossflow is a good engine but the pistons fitted by Caterham to the 1700 are not up to it. I would find out if the engine has had new pistons. Forged items are the best. Check the engine breather hose at tickover. If it smokes haggle on the price. I'm currently building an 1800 Zetec to replace my Crossflow.

AMMO

Ammo,

I have no experience of Sevens..at all, but the Zetec route was where I was eventually hoping to take the car I am buying.

The general idea was buy a cheap X-flow, enjoy the car until it needed "attention" then look for a Zetec.I know the approx price for a low mileage Zetec, but am unsure of what else is required to install this engine.

Am I right in thinking that the exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, mounts and gearbox will also need to be replaced.

Any advice you can give me about this converstion will be gladly recieved.

Steve

Out of the frying pan...