Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

poor grammar?

dave hard

ok, I think we need FH to answer this one.....

Yesterday I had the thrill of driving to Heathrow and back taking in a selection of our finest motorways - M58, M6, M5, M40 & M25.

(450 mile round trip, left home 0330, got back 1600 *eek*)

On a lot of the illuminated signs they have warnings about not using mobile phones.

What they actually say is "Don't phone while driving."

Now, I am just a dumb engineer who never paid enough attention in English classes but shouldn't it say "whilst" rather than "while" *confused*

If this is the case I can feel a rant to my MP coming on about the sliding standards and poor example to the yoof of today *eek* 😬

Or am I wrong and am going to get a rap on the knucles for trying to be a smart 🙆🏻

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

Not strictly on the same topic but sort of related, something which amuses me every time I look at it.

On the spur road joining junction 6 on the M3, each lane has directions painted on the road together with directional arrows. On the left hand side is the direction to London which some bright spark decided he would save space by writing it thus....L'(space)NDON .........which in fact takes up more width than if he had inserted the O 😬

Brent

Zetec

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 28 Nov 2003 08:54:12

"Although I have only recently come amongst you, I would say that betwixt friends -while- is fine" as Mr Ranulph Twiddly-Earwig the English teacher would say.

"Although I have only recently come among you, I would say that between friends - while- is fine" as I would say.

Both are "correct" ... but only one makes you sound like a bit of a gaylord *tongue*

Pedantry is embarrassing whilst in the bikeshed but....It should have said " 'phone" - 'phone is just a shortened version of telephone. It annoys me, but only very mildly.

Pub at the end of my road has a blackboard with "Today's Special" at the top. And some soul wrote "but EVERY day's special".

Made me 😬