Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil Refill Procedure: Apollo Tank

wfarrell

Pour the oil in the top of the engine. Let it settle.

Either rmove the plug tops or arm the immobiliser and then crank the engine over a few times (no more than about 5 seconds at a time) until uyou see some oil pressure. Then you can start up and check the oil level - I'd start with 7 litres and work from there.

Regards,

Mav

(1.6ss with Wet sump & apollo)

If you have removed all the oil then it can take about 40 seconds to see any oil pressure on a K-series. I changed my oil and no pressure after about 10 seconds cranking, so gave oily a call, connected jump leads to the tin top for some major cranking. (Spark plugs removed). Finally i had oil pressure *smile* and an SPA digital gauge 😬 as i thought the caterham one was knackered.

PS Just bought the SPA fuel level gaage, anybody else tried it 🤔

Edited by - Richard_E on 27 Nov 2003 13:50:55

tiddy1 - surely if you poor the oil into the apollo with the top orifice removed the oil will simply drain into the sump - it is the one way valve fitted in the top pipe that prevents the oil draining into the sump.

I think mav has got it about right and without a one way valve in the Apollo all the oil drains back into the sump when the engine is tunred off any way.

An obvious trick I find helpful to drain the Apollo is to disconnect the one way valve (if fitted), remove the orifice and blow gently into the Apollo to apply pressure - the oil then drains out very very quickly.

Mav,

you were right! I looked back at my posting wondering what you were on about. Thought 50 > typed 30 OOPS!

I cannot work out why Caterham now specify a 50 weight oil (although good quality synth etc) in an engine which was designed for 40 weight oil.

What's the latest on the new design head BTW.....?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬