Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is SPA kit crap ?

Simos

I've been thinking of starting this topic for a while, but now Alex id having problems I'll put it into words.

I have a SPA tacho (with built-in speedo) which has never worked properly from purchase several years ago. I won't bore you with the details save that it's been sent back so many times it has has enough airmiles to vaction in Hawaii.

Currently the needle believes the engine is pulling a consistant 200 rpm less than the digital readout (of the same dial). As this is reasonably close and it sounds like it is pulling 6k when it reads 5,800 I have left it for the last year and (apart from every once in while firmly believing I have 256 cylinder engine) it seems to be "ok".

Does anyone else have SPA guages which are economical with the truth and/or as reliable as a 1972 skoda ? or is it just me and Alex ?

Cheers, Simon.

Mirrors etc are great!

As for instruments I'd always buy a Stack panel - the Red Warning led (for those vital oil pressure loss moments) is right under your nose.

When I snapped an oil pump drive belt the £900 on a Stack panels was peanuts compared to an engine rebuild.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

A timely topic - I'm just about to junk the SPA digital dials - They're great when they are working..... and when they give readings that should cause concern, I just think they are on the blink again.

I apologise sincerely if I recommended their stuff to anyone. I have to now admit that they are unreliable. My setup read fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp and water temp. The only sender not to fail yet is the fuel pressure one!

They are CRAP.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 23 Mar 2001 21:54:15

I agree with Arnie. Stack is the way to go. Even after we crashed a bike and made one of their tachos resemble a crushed coke can they had the technology to re-build it at a fraction of the cost of a new one. Always 100% reliable too.

AMMO

A timely post if ever there was !!

My decision between a SPA tacho/speedo with separate digital oil and water temp guages and the Stack dash panel with everything built in would appear to have now been made !

Thanks chaps

I have had a mixed experience. There quick release steering wheel mechanism is the best in the business. However I have a small secondary speedo kit from them, where I am now on my third wiring loom. This one only now works because I took it to pieces and rewired it properly. Having said that there technical advice line guys are very knowledgable.

Can you blokes get MoTec gear over there? It is bullet-proof stuff that has been developed for racing. It is being used here in OZ in some of our newer PRB's. My car has a MoTec ECU and Stack dash. Newer cars have MoTec ECU and DASH. The ECU and dash talk to each other and can do everything. Full data logging, telemetry, launch control, traction control, etc.... Have a look. It is a great product from Downunder. thumbsup.gif

Go to MoTec

Dave

Motec is available over here but it's expensive stuff and I'd be concerned about a lack of experienced people to map the ECU.

Contact details from their website.

MoTeC Europe Ltd

Richard Bulmer

Factory 1, Shenington Airfield

Shenington, Banbury, Oxon, OX15 6N

United Kingdom

Phone +44 1295 680933

Fax +44 1295 680819

Internet: http://www.moteceurope.co.uk

Email: moteceurope@email.msn.com

Alex

Alex - I have an off the shelf one and it fits in the race carbon dash (less switches) no problems. I think the same goes for the R500 system (as I believe it's the same basic Road Dash unit).

The Stack system is superb, but my first one had to go back as the shift light function didn't work (despite being paid for and theoretically fitted). It's also showing odd readings on oil pressure now (have to check the sender first but it could be the dash).

Consider rigging a couple of the buttons up to the steering wheel. Can be handy when flicking through the information layers on the dash without taking your hands off the wheel...

As an aside on mirrors, I've just fitted a pair of Racetech convex ones and they're perfectly acceptable in all respects (I know some people have had hassles with them). And are a fair bit cheaper than SPA ones...

C7 AJM

I have been speaking with Richard Barnes of SPA UK.

He's obviously very disappointed to read that some of us are unhappy with SPA products and is keen to try to put things right. He would therefore like anyone who is unhappy with their SPA stuff to contact him direct. Here are Richard's details:

Richard Barnes

E: spa_uk@compuserve.com

T: 01827 260026

F: 01827 260528

Alex,

The Stack panel requires that the top hoop to which the dash attaches has a section cut out of its underside. Then the 8130 series dash unit will fit. I believe this is std on all chassis now, but this is a recent intro, not included in vinatge chassis from the VX era......

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

I've has a chat with Richard Barnes and mick Bennett at SPA who seemed very genuinely concerned about the comments here. I'm being sent some new bits to hopefully solve some of my problems. I have to say that they were extremely helpful on the phone and hopefully all will soon be well with their updated parts.

I will report back when the new senders are in.

Alex