Click here if you are having website access problems ×

70 Profile 21R Yoko thingys

John E

I had the same dilemma. I was very tempted by the 70 profile. Higher gearing, more ground clearance, good. I am told they can be squirmy, bad. Went for the more expensive 60 profile in the end. Very nice, good straight line stability and under brakes. Not bad in the wet either. The previous tyres were also 60 profile so can't really compare. If you like I can take some pics and email them to you. Then you can compare with Kevin's car.

AMMO

John, will mail you pics tomorrow. Just been out in the wet picking up my kid from school. He insisted we went for a bit of a ride. The braking is just great. Make sure that if you go for these tyres you get the fronts put on with the directional arrow facing backwards. This is to do with way the tyres are constructed. The drive on the rear is with the arrow facing forward, but the drive is in the opposite way under braking. Maybe I haven't explained it properly, but it does work. It's normal practice on motorcycles. I checked with George Polley himself and he confirmed this is correct. He did say you might have problems explaining this to the MOT tester if he notices it. My MOT tester is a motorcyclist so no problems.

AMMO

I have switched from 185/60's to 185/70's - A021's (rears only), and they don't make much difference on the road. In the dry on a track I think you would fell the difference. In the wet they are better than the A032's I had on, and they have loads more grip than the A008's I have on the front at the moment - damp understeer only, very hard to get the back to break away.

As to looks, I think they fill the wheel arches better, and are more in proportion.

Is George Polley still selling them at £40 each? Time to change the fronts.

Well I'm moving towards 70's now and they are available at 40 per corner inc vat and delivery/fitting. Caterham suggest 3 1/2 inches clearance between the sump and hard stuff so a 60 profile will take me down by about 3/4 inch. To much me thinks.

AMMO,

If I understand well, the rear tyres must be installed according to the recommendation of the manufacturer, and the front tyres should be the opposite to improve their efficiency under braking?

Did I get it right? Does anyone know the drawbacks if any of such setup of the front tyres?

Cheers,

I have spoken to Yoko's technical department about this and they say in actual fact, it makes bugger all difference on a road car.

It is all to do with the casing structure and even on race tyres they have had very few failures from being run in the wrong direction. It makes no difference whatsoever to grip/braking capabilities.

MOT testers will probably ask you to fit the arrows so they revolve in the correct direction whilst 'officially' the correct way is to have the driven tyres running in the direction of the arrow and the non driven fronts on a seven running against the arrow, as previously suggested.

But it really is of little advantage so don't be too worried....for these particular tyres.

Andrew

Andrew,

what about a road car that is also used on a track? As for the "very few failures" comment, it's OK if the very few failures happen to someone else. If they were to happen to me I would not be too happy.

I disagree that it makes no difference, it probably makes a very small difference. If that small difference stops me 20 cm from the parked skip opposed to 20 cm beyond or stops me from leaving the track and hitting the armco that's good enough for me. To be honest the critical tyre is the rear. That's why the manufacturer puts the little arrow on in the first place. The front is a lot less critical. I am not an expert, far from it, the older I get the less I know. I have seen what happens to a tyre when fitted back to front.

As fitting the tyres the "official way" costs nothing, why not do it? Being (very) paranoid and set in my ways I will continue to do it my way. You are welcome to disagree and do it your way, or any other way you like. I can visualize a bunch of little Japanese geezers with specs and clipboards in Yokohama disagreeing with you though.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 23 Mar 2001 22:18:00

I was simply repeating what I was told by Yoko.

Personally, I always fit the rears running with the arrow, and the fronts against the arrow.

I tend to agree that they must be there for some purpose......

When I said the'direction' had no effect, I was referring to the handling/grip factor and not potential overall carcass strength.

Andrew

The 70 profiles will be heavier. Not weighed any but perhaps 0.5 kg or so.

Unsprung mass is critical....

If its a road car then 60's and a slightly raised ride height is what I have gone for. If you don't have adj. spring platforms then 70's are the answer.

/Steve