Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Feeling smug

Boonie Hound

Hoop,

You can find out where you nearest session is by going here

Good on everyone who gives blood *wink* *thumbup* It's people like you who have helped my brother to fight leukaemia. I'm not able to give blood because the veins in my arm are too puny, but I did donate Russell some bone marrow cells instead *wink*

*wink*

Rach

Depends. There are two different methods, the first is to give you injections to increase your production of stem cells and then once the count is high enough in your blood, they take blood and spin it through a magic (centrifrugal) machine to take out the bits they need. For most people they are able to take the blood as they would when you donate blood, i.e. out of your arm. For me and my puny veins, which were too small to accept the needle, it required a femoral line, which goes in at the top of your leg. It was a bit uncomfortable and will generally mean an overnight stay in hospital as it is rare for them to be able to get enough cells in one session and they will not let you go home with it still in place. It also takes a little bit longer to heal, obviously, but it wasn't too painful and I only have a very small scar.

If the injections don't work - and they don't for everyone, then you have to go the more 'traditional' route of having the cells removed from the bone marrow, usually from your hip bone, this is obviously more painful and is a procedure Russell underwent a number of times. It takes a bit longer to recover from.

Only around 30% of bone marrow transplants are done by members of the patients immediate family - we were lucky that I was a match for Russell lots of people aren't so lucky - it's a really good thing you're doing by being on the register. Oh and if they do call on you, you will get all kinds of tests done before you can donate, including a pregnancy test *tongue*

Hope this is helpful and if anyone else is interested in becoming a donor, the national blood service web site has details here

Right enough of all this serious stuff 😬

*wink*

Rach

Edited by - Rachael on 26 Nov 2003 09:28:54