Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Source for carbon sheets required

dumyat

Looking for some "carbon" sheets to make a dash and boot lid from.

I have previously purchased some 1mm thick in 100cm X 50cm sheets, however I have lost the contact details.

Can anybody help with details of a supplier?

Regards.

Thanks Brian,

Yes I have started to make lots of se7en parts in carbon, firstly for my car (see web site below) but also offering them to club members.

e-mail easiclad@aol.com or ring me 01424 812516

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

• Leadership Team

If it's only stone protector thickness (1mm I guess) then it will cut with a good set of shears - B&Q do some, or Costco currently have an excellent set of 4 different ones. Edges can easily be finished using aluminium oxide paper, and it'll drill with ordinary HSS drill bits. It's actually quite easy to work with *cool*

Stu.

or this:

http://www.motrax.co.uk/Index_pages/accessories/flexicacut.htm

An A3 sheet does each side. Its real carbon fibre weave with a strong flexible vinyl coating and 3M adhesive backing. Its as flexible as lightweight card and cuts with scissors. Ive used it and its great, stones dont damage it atall. They also do various other weaves, ie, ali & kevlar.

Tom,

I did exactly what Stu suggested with CF sheet. Cut it out with pair of serrated snips and then finished off with a file. It is surprisingly easy to work with. Used Original SS protectors as templates for cutting and for holes for riveting.

Tony7

Going for sub 500kg Zetec engined 7

*smile*

Just a tip:

Stone guards should be laid up from 1 layer carbon 2 layser kevlar each at 0.25mm giving 0.75mm total thickness. Not using Kevlar will likely reduece the longevity of the stoneguards particularly when they are stressed through the curvature of the wing which will encourage delamination.

Although you might be able to cut carbon sheet with a pair of serrated snips, the reality is probably to use an electric jigsaw with a fine pitch blade.

I also believe the source Tony got his carbon from was a limited supply of a large batch which was not fully utilised. I do not think they make or stock sheet carbon normally, but I could be wrong of course.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Arnie

If pre moulded to the correct shape rather than bent from a sheet, from your experience, do you think there is still a need for kevlar behind?

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Edited by - richard in france on 28 Nov 2003 19:14:23