Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Airlock in water system

heavenly7

Having just changed the anti freeze had a bit of a panic that I might have left an air block in the system - the car has a heater. I have "blown" through the header tank and water comes out of the radiator top.

How can I tell if there is an air block in the heater (presumably it doesnt get hot!) but more importantly is there any danger of damaging the engine.

Heavenly, there are pages on this in "Search".

If you have an air lock, you are likely to overheat... The time honoured rule of thumb is to jack the front of the car up, as high a possible, sufficient that the bleed screw on top of the radiator is higher than any other part of the cooling system, which in your case is the radiator.

Once you have the height you might find it easier to finish filling the system by pouring directly into the bleed hole.

I use a tractor or fork lift... i.e. serious height

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

The method I use is......... fill up and then start the engine, feel the heater pipes on the bulkhead and if they are staying cold undo the jubilee clip on the top hose and carefully ease the pipe back slightly but not right off, air will begin to hiss out, eventually water will run out so take care it will be hot push back on and retighten. The other air pocket spot is the radiator hose to water pump junction, again exactly the same process a bit more fiddly though. I've changed the water several times in my system and have always done the above and never got an airlock. I've never bothered to lift the front of the car.

Phil S7SVN