Click here if you are having website access problems ×

One slighty bruised Aussie Ego

Nemesis

May the Referee RIP ☹️ as his judgement was so biased he might has well have worn a gold jersey.

Just because the Springboks took an early bath after we beat them in the group matches then the All Blacks beat them in the quarters is no reason for being anti England, what an 🙆🏻 , still, the Best (and right) team won, no doubt to the disgust of Kev Sull *wink*

Just don't mention cricket or football *eek*

I would like to congratulate the Aussies on their coverage of the result in todays papers - not a sore loser amongst them.

They gave 'us' hell before the match but have been dignified in defeat. Worthy competitors throughout IMO.

Justin *cool*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Has anyone yet found out what that last penalty at the scrum just before the end of normal time was for ? I have rewatched the video and still can't see anything wrong apart from him not grasping the situation as Matt suggests.

Perhaps some Aussie doubted the refs fatherhood in a fake English accent *smile*

Its very rare you hear the supporters of any winning side complain about the ref, but there has been a lot of it since Saturday

Edited by - Graham Perry on 24 Nov 2003 18:33:00

There is one overiding memory of the match that will live long with me... not the ferocity of tackling or the stamina of the players but the Aussie Captain's speech at the end. He stood up, accepted defeat magnamously and heaped huge amounts of praise on the english performance. There were no excuses for their own performance like the "wrong type of grass", "sodden ground effected are opportunities to use the back line more". What a sport!!!.

Now lets say the english lost. Would their speech have been every bit as gracefull........ would it F***.

The Irish for World Cup 2007 😬 😬 😬

SV R HORNET cause its all yellow and black

To clear up the ref situation, it appears its all to do with interpreting the rulebook (funnily enough).

Interesting article in the Sunday Times talking about Australia's 16th man, Andre. The Southern hemisphere sides now regard the scrum merely as a formality for restarting the game, whereas the Northern hemisphere sides still regard it as competitive. Our power, ferocity and overall scrummaging dominance was therefore 'misinterpreted' ......

Good job we won then ....

If the scrummage isn't going to be competitive then there's no point having one.

Playing with un-contested scrums is frankly pointless, but a necessity of law if insufficient front rows are available (as sometimes happens at club level when one leaves the field through injury/blood - not a likely event at international level 😬)

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Ref was indeed useless.

Also, I watched the game again last night and paid particular attention to Wilko. Who says all he's good for is kicking. He was key to the try that Robinson scored, did a good job of setting up a couple of other attempts and most importantly tackled brilliantly.

Tony,

Then we'll all have to learn to tackle like Wendall Sailor. 😳

Why on earth the Aussies let him play for as long as he did I cannot fathom?

All his tackles were up around the chest, he was merely an obstacle in the way rather than a true opponent. Our token Aussie in the club was furious with him. Roth, his replacement, is a much better RU player, IMO.

YON,

The pass inside was not a certain try, but the pass to Jason Robinson was, provided he held onto the ball...which of course he did *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬 😬 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 30 Nov 2003 21:00:55

• 2 weeks later...

and did anyone notice how long the aussie kicker took for his penalty kicks?

the one at the end of regulation time was given with 38min on the clock. But it was the last play of the game, therefore the kicker took more than the 60 seconds allowed.. more like 100 sec.

And then the kick then had to draw level again in extra time (with about 5 min to go) I timed at 90seconds from the point of the kicker signalling he would take the kick, to striking the ball..

What the hell is the point of having the rule over 60 seconds to take a kick if it is totally ignored?Watson would have been harsh to stop the kicker on the first one, but he should of warned him after it and then pulled him up on the second....IMHO.

But we won in the end.. dispite the ref!! *cool*

YON,

That's part of playing at that level.

It would have been a good deal better if the crowd hadn't behaved like a load of football hooligans and booed the kickers. If I heard anyone behave like that at our club I'd take moves to get them banned from the touchline.

If you want that go to Highbury, Old Trafford etc. *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

Edited by - Nifty on 9 Dec 2003 18:32:48