Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

General SVA questions.

edmandsd

Graham Ford's kindly sold me all the necessary lighting and handbrake equip but i've got a few other questions which i'm sure some of you will be able to help me with.

Do I need to have a rolled tailpipe or could I simply turn my existing one through 180 degrees for the test ? Is a side exit exhaust an issue in its own right ?

I've got springs where the manifold joins the system - If I exhaust wrap these will that suffice ?

Anyone who'se seen my car will have noticed the air intake on the bonnet - Will I need to borrow a standard bonnet for the test ?

I've got one of Arch's R400 race passenger ali tonneau's - Is that a problem ?

Would a line lock suffice instead of a handbrake ?

Many thanks

David.

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 21 Nov 2003 22:27:29

Dave,

I'm not speaking from prior knowledge but I would consider the handbrake to be an *emergency* brake that needs a seperate mechanism in the event of a hydraulic failure so I doubt a line lock would be recognised.

Tom

Dave,

Rolled end on std side exit exhaust was fine for my last car. (SVA'd May 2001)

Sounds like the Ali tonneau might have unacceptable edges. Could you simply remove it for the test or does that open up a load of other things that would need changing?

Line lock - definite no no. Needs to be a separate mechanism IIRC.

I downloaded a copy of the SVA manual the other day (can't remember where from) that I can email you if you want. Just let me know.

Steve.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably just get it SVA'ed as a single seater due to the rollbar etc. I'll take the tonneau off as a precaution in any event.

Looks like the line lock's a no no then !

Steve - I'd appreciate it if you could email me the manual - cheers David david@edmands.fsbusiness.co.uk

Home of BDR700

Dave you will need to run rubber piping or edging along and even vaguely sharp ally edge on the car. The Scoop will probably need some rubber round it as will any exposed bolts in the front suspension.

The wings will need trim round all of their edges as this is considered sharp as are the surrounds for the fog and reverse lights.

Bonnet catches require special plastic lids that Caterham can probably supply.

The leading edge of the scuttle panel will need to be covered as will the steering wheel (if it is MOMO the metal centre must have a pad over it.

Apparently recently they have got funny about cars being done with under dash handbrake and harnesses due to the inability to operate it when strapped in.

dave,

Cateraham sell a spot caliper to facilitate a working handbrake with the AP uprated rears. This caliper is purely mechnical and can be adjusted to siut any width of disc, I recon these are your simplest and cheapest solution, there about £45 each and the mounting brackets £20. The same calipers are available from rally Design. I have had them on my car all last season and can confirm that they work reasonably well.

Steve,

I haven`t had any problems with them, Julian holloway also fitted a set at the same time as me we are both pleased with them. I think its all down to how you set them up on intial installation, as the calipers are shimmed to get the correct disc to caliper clearance and if you do not get the shimming correct, when you yank on the hand brake you distort the brackets and then the pads will drag on the discs for evermore. I recon a spring behind the actuator arm would also help with durability ensuring that the lever arm is returned to the off position after operation. You can off course back the wear adjustment cam as required when on track and readjust when your Mot is due

Thanks for the advice guys. Graham's old road going gear actually comes with the handbrake set up you're referring to so I'll have a go fitting that albeit with fabricated brackets to suit the live axle.

Harnesses/under dash handbrake issue worries me.............as does my ATL tank which one fills directly through a hole in the alloy boot cover.

When you say remove the rollbar do you mean replace with 2 seater one or just remove full stop ?!

A couple of other Q's as a result of starting to flick through the requirements are as follows:

If the car's fuel injection does it definately need a cat ?

If the engine's prior to a certain year (83?) are the emission requirements relaxed ? I'm trying to work out whether my bdx will be deemed the same as a bdr for these purposes....considering the bdr came out in 1986 !?

Another one of HTR's engined Caterham's is going to be SVA'ed shortly before mine so this will also help me get an idea as to what exactly's required. This other car is an SV with an all singing and dancing slide throttle injected 2.3lt n/a Cossie and I understand that HTR are going to need to fit standard cams just to get it through the emissions test !

Cheers

David.

Home of BDR700

Edited by - edmandsd on 24 Nov 2003 19:24:40

SVA categorically WILL check rear wheel braking on the rollers for a car with LSD. There are a few other threads on here at the moment about cars failing due to excessive rear brake bias. i.e. she does not so much stop as spin around and bite you in the 🙆🏻

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬