Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sourcing a "colourtune"

wonkey eyed barmaid

hi all you carb tuners...

where is the best/cheapest place to get a reasonable "colourtune" for setting up my carbs...? please.

I presume that armed with one of these, and my shiney air-flow meter, I should be able to balance and tune my carbs to somewhere near optimum??

I have the dave andrews guide, a smidgen of common sense, and a pinch spanner weilding ability. will this be sufficient to venture within 3 feet of a set of webbers... *eek* *eek*

cheers in advance. grant.

thanks for the replies guys,

kind offer pelico, but I am in mid-wales, or scotland, dependant on the time of the month *eek*

£40-50 for 1 hour session to set up carbs is common, and I must say I am tempted by the "get it done right" route...

but this only gets it done once. i also have a friend with another vx classic on carbs, so if we split the cost of colourtune and airflow meter we can learn to tweak the carbs on both cars ourselves... *thumbup* *idea*

any idea on the price of the halfords kit you mentioned nverona..?

Grant, your part of mid wales anywhere near Ludlow? If so I've got one I bought from Halfords a few months back which you're welcome to collect, or for a contribution to NTL I'll post it to you.

Used it once, which was great fun - if you've got kids it's a useful science experiment, particulary when it's done in a dark garage (great colours). I ended up mucking the settings up completely and reverted back to where I started. Tip - make a note of how far out the screws are before you start so you can get back to the settings you've got at the moment. Mine are now set to around 1 3/4 turns.

Regards

David

1700XF - Life is Loud

I've been out of the loop 'cos of the Rugby. Head still hurts 😬 I already have that guide, the guy I bought the car off had a copy. Unfortunately, we got it wet, covered in mucky fingerprints, etc so chuffed to know it was here all the time. Thanks

Usually, I do the carbs adjustement with a digital rev counter

as descibes Dave Andrews site or the Caterham owner book

As I have bought last year a color tune without using it

I went yesterday at my garage and tested the card adjustement

2 cylinders were perfect with the rev method the other need a very slight adjustement.

Result : color tune simple to use for a brilliant car after tune

So I can advise it

I have also a synchrometer (bought at Dartford)

So there are 3 methods

1 color tune

2 ear of rev counter to detect the moment when engine rev is the highest

3 laser temperature gun which detect the lowest temperature on the exhaut manifold as they must be all equal

eric

thank you all for taking the time to reply with helpfulk links, advice and offers of help.

once again blatchat proves to be the font of all knowledge, and the lotus7 club proves to be the best & friendliest car club around... *thumbup*

David, I have mailed you off-line.

Lawrence, I may well pop round for a wee spanner session over winter: (the car gets back to scotland this weekend *wink* )

ta.

grant

Grant,

I'm in Presteigne, we met earlier this year at Aber, I've got both a colourtune and a weber Carb balancer. feel free to pop across, am I right in thinking your in Builth. Ring me on 01544 230124 and we can sort it!

Phil S7SVN

hiya Phil,

I remember... those were the days...

sunday afternoons - sunshine, warmth, dry roads - driving in a t-shirt, sunglasses on - aberyswyth for ice cream - bit of A44, and a side-order of devils bridge on the way home... *thumbup*

and now its november, again ☹️

winter was always crap - but it somehow seems worse this year... *thumbdown*

thanks for the offer of the colortune. wont take you up on it just now as I have ran out of time to get the car sorted before its trip back to scotland. will sort it once its back home.

must catch up with you again though. got your number now.

ta.

grant