Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Want to get a lump in your throat?

Big Brother

I'm remembering all the things I didn't have time to tell my grandad 'cos I'm sure I'll see him again. He taught me how to be stupid and I'll never forget him. He taught me how to hurt myself on a lathe, how to trap my fingers in a vice handle, do the old-person-whistle-and-hum thing, how to take things to bits and not quite put them back together but to put them in a box "for later", how to remember to always punch the vice just as your on the last cutting stroke with a hacksaw, how to always make time for 9o'clocks, 10o'clocks, elevenses etc. and make time for having fun and do just enough to keep everyone happy. He always said "smiles are free so spend them carelessly".

If I get my new motorbike, I'll be seeing him sooner rather then later

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

I'd been lurking for ages before signing up to BlatChat in 2000 *eek* As I noted in the thread at the time, Stijn's posting made me cry - but it was not with sadness. The first thing I did was to call my own father, who is my best friend. It's all about families and friends, joy and happiness. A situation which has changed quite radically in our society in recent times and not for the better - imo.

Some of the names people used in those days had me cracking up. Albert Hall, Anna Rexia, are just two that spring to mind...People were so inventive - fullharness was the best I could think up but it caught people's imaginations and I took a right old ribbing from some quarters 😳

There was wit and off-the-cuff one-liners; innuendo and double entendres - all taken in the spirit intended *thumbup*

I know we can't turn the clock back but I do hope the resurrection of a couple of great archive threads shows the newer contributors that camaraderie was alive and well in those days - and with a good dose of a suitable purgative for those in need of clearing their systems, maybe we can return to those halcyon days 😬

FH *cool*

• 1 year later...