Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petrol smell

ewenm

Any ideas please...

I'm getting a strong petrol smell in the cockpit of the 7 but not outside the car. The fuel tank is only a couple of months old. Any ideas where the smell will be coming from - I presume the filler inlet could be perishing so letting fumes out. Is there a breather hose that could be causing it 🤔

Going up to Millwood tomorrow anyway but anything I can look for tonight would be good.

Cheers,

Ewen.

70730 miles and counting... but a broken wrist

Does it smell in the boot? If so, I had a similar problem which turned out to be a porous weld on the top surface of the tank that was weeping petrol. I had thought it was the gasket around the fuel gauge sender was the problem, but after changing that, the problem was still there.

Lift the boot floor and have a look at your tank and see if you can see any nasty sticky residues where petrol has leaked.

Fixed with a blob of Halfords tank repair gunge, pending a new tank at the next service.

the filler neck has a rubber pipe about a foot long that is cable tyed to the tank securing rod in the boot this passes into the under side of the car the fumes from the tank tend to build up under the drivers rear wheel arch more so when you fill the tank.

this pipe should have a none return valve fitted but they don't .this may be where you are getting your smell of fuel i am having a low pressure valve made to stop this and will be ready in the next few days this will stop the petrol fumes but still alow the tank to breath.

but you may have a leak 🤔