Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Beware toasters and hairdryers

Nick Woods

When answering a topic upstairs in techtalk (here) I stumbled across this quote

in a recent year 47 people were killed in accidents involving small appliances such as toasters and hair dryers

It was on this site here - be warned though, it has some fairly graphic descriptions of people getting killed in unpleasant ways although fortunately there are no horrible photos (not that i've seen anyway)

Fortunately I dont have much hair and I do my toast under a grille, but i shall regard all my domestic appliances a bit more warily now. As for the blender thats staying in the cupboard from now on *eek*

I am the proud owner of an unofficial toaster at work *smile*

Told the H&S guy I wants toast, but he won't get it pack tested (sp?) cos it looks a bit melted where I left a plate on top to keep mi toast warm.

It still makes lovely unofficial toast, from the unofficial bread bin, and it’s all kept hidden in an unofficial box, in the unofficial cupboard in the unofficial kitchen (which is officially called the “refreshment area” where the plebs are allowed to consume official plastic drinks bought from the official vending robots.

Someone (not me - honest guvnah) managed to blow up the HORRID water boiler thingy, that made scummy tea, and he's upgraded my "unofficial" kettle to "official" status.

Nice tea now *smile*

BLATCHAT should be FREE and OPEN

Oh, fond memories...

...I had a succession of decent coffee makers in my office in Dubai - culminating in one with a digital display and a webcam so that people elsewhere in the office could check how much was left...

...all of the supplies were paid for by the company too...

Keep BC free and open for ALL. Membership No. 43xx

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

They took our unofficial toaster away *mad*

We got to keep the kettle though 😬 I drink black tea and from a vending machine it looks a bit like an oil slick 😳 I kept expecting Rainbow Warrier to appear in my cup but now drink lovely poncy tea 😬

Tam

A webcam on the coffee machine, I like that . And there was me thinking that we were hi-tech by having an internal website so we could order our free 'made how you want them ' lunchtime sandwiches. I had better suggest this to the catering dept as it sounds like we are falling behind *smile*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 18 Nov 2003 14:42:32

Has anyone ever eaten a Ginsters pasty/pie/roll etc, that didn't taste of foist? The're usually found in the tall fridgy things in garages and have tremendously long sell-by dates.

People who were ravenous needn't reply cos if you are hungry, sucking a cats 🙆🏻 would probably taste good. *thumbdown*

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

Foist (pronounced like moist) verb

Definition

1. to introduce or insert surreptitiously, fraudulently, or unjustifiably. 2. to impose or force (an unnecessary or unwanted person or thing) upon someone by deception or fraud. 3. to pass off as authentic, genuine, or valuable.

Main Example

According to the Wall Street Journal, the giant loan company Household International has agreed to pay a half-billion dollar fine for engaging in illegal lending practices. The company allegedly disguised the real cost of the loans and foisted unnecessary and worthless insurance to the tune of thousands of dollars on each loan customer.

Workplace Examples

Our steering committee clearly has all the representatives it'll ever need. Now Darla, who is chair, is trying to foist yet another person into the committee--somebody who I am told is her big time supporter.

Ron doesn't like to admit his mistakes, especially the big ones! So I wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to foist this screwup on somebody else.

Other Examples

a shrewd, unethical salesperson foisting several one-sided clauses upon an innocent buyer

companies using slick infomercials packed with phony testimonials to foist junk on viewers

Enron's management foisting false financial statements and incomprehensible (as well as illegal) schemes on the investor community so as to boost the company's stock price

unwilling to admit that a pilot deliberately plunged that EgyptAir plane into the Atlantic Ocean in 1999, the Egyptian government repeatedly trying to foist responsibility for the tragedy on Boeing by claiming it was caused by "mechanical failure"

Just picture this; you're ravenous. You hav'nt eaten for over an hour. You screech to a halt on your local garage forcourt and make a dash for the refridgerated display unit. You bundle the scotch eggs past the Ribene to get to the Ginsters. You grab the fattest pre-packed delight and lunge for the pay desk. You chuck a fiver over the counter knowing that its hardly worth bothering with the change and leg it past the 'hands free kit' and 'hair clippers' stand. You boot the glass door open and rip into your culinery delight only to find a vacuum packed cats tea-towel holder 🙆🏻 looking out your hands.

BLURGH. Give me cake anytime *thumbup*

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

Nick, I am going to go all technical now. The toaster needs to be PAT tested. Thats Portable Appliance Test to you sir. Your freindly electrician will plug the toaster into a big testy box thing. This will then automatically test for earth continuity and perform an earth leakage test. If its a fancy one, it will then print out a barcoded sticker that say PASSED on it, and the toaster is safe to use for another year. If it fails ( and it may well do, all those exposed element thingys inside aren't very clever for earth leakage ) then its for the skip I am afraid.

BTW why is it all cuddly and nice in the sheds, and all shouty and loud upstairs when its mostly the same people *confused*

Paul