Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Springs and Dampers

Chelspeed

I've gone Leda with 2.25 inch springs so need another clearout....

For sale:

Set of four road bilsteins, from 1993 narrow track xflow engined de dion. Had a hard life but were OK last season. No idea 100ukp a set?? Make me an offer.

Caterham adjustable spring seat set for above (fitted at present but can split). Good condition. 75ukp for the set.

Various pairs of 1.9 inch ID springs to suit above, 150 (standard crossflow), 260 (uprated crossflow), 300 (narrow track uprated Vx) and 360 lb/in (wide track uprated Vx) for the fronts and 170 lb/in (standard) for the rear. 15ukp a set.

Alan,

Free length has to ap[propiate to the distance between the platforms.

The Bilsteins Caterham fit have an extension to the end of the damper for the wide track setup, so the spring is the same free length whether wide or narrrow.

If you get new dampers made up to fit a wide track car (as I have) the best method is to use longer dampers (longer pushrod length) hence a longer spring is required.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

It must be possible to use different length springs on the standard Bilsteins by using the selection of platform locating grooves. I know it's possible to run wide track with or without the spacer by doing this and still keep the same ride height.

I wonder what difference the length of spring and number of coils makes for a given spring rate?

For a given rate of springing and damping more wheel travel would presumably be a plus especially for road use.

A longer spring with more turns would allow more wheel travel before it becomes coil bound.

Maybe wheel travel is limited by the dampers and not the springs.

I guees the diameter of the spring makes a difference too.

Just havin' a Bud and wondering!

Nothing said is wrong, it's just not what I meant...

When I said the 300 lb/in springs were Vx narrow track and the 360 lb/in springs were Vx wide track what I meant were that, in my view, the 300 lb/in springs suit a Vx car fitted with narrow track suspension and the 360 lb/in suit one with wide track fitted.

The reason is that when you fit wide track the dampers lean over more so the ratio of wheel movement to damper movement is lower. So if you have a narrow track car and fit wide track suspension then you have suspension that is softer, both spring wise and damper wise. I was running 300 lb/in springs so when I went widetrack I went up to 360 lb/in springs to retain approx same spring rate at the chassis.