Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter motors for Ks

Nick Green

For those of you who may have been following my previous ramblings/questions about alternatives to the solenoid-underneath Skoda (Magneton really) starter that has been giving me gip recently, I have made progress...

Turns out the 3-bolt fixing plate is boggo Ford Sierra. However there are at least 3 types of starter: Pre 89 manual, post 89 manual and automatic (don't know about year here).

The pre-89 comes with a 60mm nose which just happens to fit very nicely into the hole in the dry sump bell housing, if the Caterham supplied spacer is used (65mm deep). This is what I have gone for. The post-89 version has a shorter nose, but I wasn't sure if the amount by which it was shorter was the same as the depth of the spacer plate...

Both the above starters have the solenoid on top, but I have it on good opinion that a bit of reinforcing of the actuator terminal, and some form of heat shielding should do the job. Even if it doesn't, they are v. cheap (relatively) to replace, being about a third the cost of the Magneton thing.

The Sierra automatic one sounds as if perhaps it could be better still, as it has a solenoid on the bottom again. Unfortunately, no-one had one in stock and I couldn't be bothered to wait. Don't know about nose length on this one either.

So there. An alternative exists smile.gif

Hi Dave.

I had a good look at the terminal with a magnifying glass. Perhaps my eyes need testing, but I couldn't see anything wrong with it. If what you've got is the same as what I have now, the terminal design is quite different from the Magneton starter anyway.

I'm in full 'Cut My Losses' mode on this subject, I'm afraid. Your starter has a problem with a known fix, whereas the Magneton starter has a similar problem with no known fix other than replacement. I've taken pre-emptive measures with the new starter. Time will tell if I've been wasting my money...