Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Some Duratec weights

AMMO

I weighed a Duratec in the workshop today with a set of hanging scales suspended from an engine crane. A 2 litre Duratec with coil pack but no HT leads and stock flywheel was exactly 100 kilos. The engine also had a fuel rail and injectors. Removing the flywheel reduced the figure to 87 kilos.

I have a steel ultralight flywheel here that weighs 3.7 kilos.

Heavy Duty AP clutch and pressure plate. 5.5 kilos

Direct to head throttle bodies with 90 mm trumpets 2.4 kilos

On the same set of scales I weighed my old Crossflow a couple of years ago with inlet manifold, flywheel and clutch was also 100 kilos.

My 1800 Zetec with coil pack, HT leads , steel flywheel, clutch and inlet manifold is 115 kilos. A Zetec with a stock lightened flywheel is approx 120 kilos.

Anybody weighed a K Series or VX in a similar state of assembly?

AMMO

Thanks guys.

Basically I am trying to find out how much heavier the Duratec is than the K. I already know it is lighter than a Zetec and a VX just from lugging them around the workshop. The Duratec is so much easier to move than a Zetec. The K looks smaller and lighter. Probably only a few kilos in it I would have thought.

Rob

I look forward to getting the figure for the K. If you could weigh it in a similar state of dress that would be great. *thumbup*

AMMO

From my bathroom scales.

Zetec with clutch alternator inj/sys and oil 118kg

cast bellhousing inc spacer 12kg

alloy bellhousing 7lb (3kg?)

Battery 8kg (thought that would be more)

gearbox 32kg 5 speed T9

Hayabusa engine gearbox complete 82kgs (from other thread)

T.F@O.F.

A7 RDP

Pics here

Richard

I too measured a complete type 9 gearbox at 44 kilos. Nice to see our figures match. With alloy bell housing and case this should come down to 32/33 kilos. Duratec ali bellhousing is 4 kilos.

118 kilos for the engine is in the 115 to 120 kilo ball park as well.

I heard a rumour that the late (post 1998) Zetecs are lighter due to thin wall cast iron castings. The head is the same but the cast ali cam cover is much lighter. Late Zetecs have a plastic cam cover which should save even more weight.

AMMO

Not a very similar comparison, but my stock 1.6K complete and ready to install (i.e. with all electrics, coil & loom, alternator, starter motor, plenum, injectors, air filter, all belts & covers, dry sump pump, mounts and engine stands (which doen't get installed...), steel flywheel, complete clutch assembly) was 102kg. Only thing missing was the exhaust manifold but that's probably lighter than the stands.

Mike

Ammo,

Just weighed my K. Engine weighed fitted with the caterham steel lightweight flywheel, dry sump pan, oilfiter and housing and coil pack but no leads weighed 71kg.

The following ancillaries weighed:-

4.5Kg for the uprated AP clutch and Cover.

2.5 Kg for the Dry sump scavenge pump, mounting and pipes

6 kg for the standard Alternator and fixing brackets

4.5Kg for a lightweight starter motor

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Nov 2003 22:55:45

Ammo ,

My engine is fitted with a lightweight steel crank and rods , still 16Kg is alot lighter than the Duratec.Oh just read your post again your 87Kg did not include a flywheel add another 3.4Kg.

Rob

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Nov 2003 23:06:43

Edited by - Rob Walker on 23 Nov 2003 23:11:01

Rob

Thanks for that *thumbup* So your engine is how much lighter than a stock K?

Yep, the Duratec is a bit heavier than a K but still lighter than a Zetec, a VX and even a Crossflow. The weight penalty is still worth paying in my opinion as you get between 200 cc and 500 cc extra capacity (for the 2.3), bigger valves (bigger than you can get to fit in a K and room to fit bigger ones still if you are that way inclined), cast in liners, chain drive, mechanical tappets as standard.

Anyway, I would say that, as I'm fitting one to my car 😬

AMMO

Ammo,

I recon my K is 4Kg lighter than a stock 1.8. This being down to 2.5Kg lighter crank and the removal of any superfluous alloy brackets/fixings. The 1.6K is probaby about the same weight as my engine as the crank is much lighter than the stock 1.8K

I also run with a modified VVC head with all the VVC stuff junked, the VVC head casting is heavier than the stock 1.8 or VHPD head. My inlet cam is a solid steel billet type with large journals which must also be heavier than a stock VHPD cam. Then there is all the VVC blanking kit.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 24 Nov 2003 18:46:37

Ammo, the new Cosworth Duratec head is "port bored" (i.e. by machine) F1 style for ultimate flow and total repeatability. It will be sold mainly in the states. Cosworth are going to have a few pages in the back of the Ford motorsport catalogue for motorsport parts mainly for the Duratec at first...

Rob, is that head the one you picked up at some late night hush hush meeting at a service station?? Has it worked out okay?

Bob

Bob

All the Nissan Touring Car heads were CNC ported in Japan for repeatability. Just as well as the ports were so big, it would have taken ages to do by hand and the risk of breaking through into the water jacket would have been very high. UK tuners are now starting to use CNC porting. Makes sense.

I was contacted yesterday by a tuning company offering me a job to run a new facility. They are buying an Extrude Hone machine. This is capable of removing material from things like ports, plenum runners and other difficult to reach areas. This is done by pumping an abrasive slurry at high pressure through the ports or runners. As the job required re-location I didn't accept. I did offer to promote the business and do all the back to back flowbench testing. I will definately be making use of the facility myself for certain projects. I did a lot of work for this company around twelve years ago. I suggested Extrude Hone at the time to resolve a particular problem. It has taken them over a decade to come to the same conclusion!

AMMO

Rob

My cheapo VHPD engine was built up in april/may of this year and I've just mapped it on the road with a few instruments. Appears to go well though - just about hung onto the back of an R500 down the back straight at Snetterton (drove straight past an SLR) so it cant be doing badly?

Ammo

I've seen some work here which involved extrude honing, it looks great on the finished port. How do you control where you remove material? It may not always be in the most appropriate places?

Bob

Bob

I'm not sure you can control the exact area of material removal. I suppose anything is possible if you put your mind to it and with experience. Probably putting inserts into the port to mask certain areas. Dunno. Just guessing.

The original reason I suggested Extrude Hone was because I had been employed to do assessment work on Zetec heads and plenums for road cars. The Zetec comes with two different aluminium plenums (some models have plastic ones). A standard output one and a high output one. Even the high output one is pathetic and very restrictive. We considered chopping a plenum up, porting it and welding it back up again to see waht happened. Extrude Hone would have been perfect. In the end the project was dropped because the conversion would have been too expensive. I did learn a lot about Zetecs whilst being paid. Which was nice :-)

New Superflow 600 is almost up and running. Just need to make some adaptors. I'll have some Duratec flow figures at 25" and 30" for the 2 litre and 2.3 heads for you very soon (how long have I been saying that?).

AMMO