Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery and tray

John E

I'm considering putting the battery tray on my 1990 car in a more accessible place. Its currently under the carbs and I understand that there is a replacement available that fits on the n/s in front of the bulkhead, is this true and where from. I've also heard that its possible to fit a larger battery into the replacement tray. Has anyone any experience of this mod and if so which battery. My x flow does not like turning over with the current item, its possibly knacked but my friendly auto electrician thinks that for a 1700 with good compression the original is just to small. Any comments?

The James Whiting kit used to relocate the batter above the gearbox hanging from the chassis rails. I used this for a while but found that fitting the kit was a major headache as parts of the wiring loom and fuel pipes need to be re-routed.

Alternatively, when my car was rebuilt, Ratrace used the existing tray and rivited it to the side rail and the cross rail near the starter motor.

My initial reason for moving it at all was that the car had become reluctant to start and with the battery under the carbs, it was impossible to use jump leads. However, as soon as the battery was moved and all connections cleaned up, the car started with no problems. Go figure....

Cheers,

Graham

Snap to the above. There was a long debate about batteries some time back in tech talk but I have gone for a Bosch Silver Line, not one mentioned in the chat about Banner Batteries etc., which has lots of crank for your buck. I can give you the part no. if you want it.

I am a bit late no this one.

I had the batt tray under the carb on my last 7.

I fitted a larger batt (a 310 cranking amp one) by modifying the existing tray.

The width is ok if you shave off a little of the plastic moulding at the base.

The smallest standard batt in the shops is too long by about 3/4". I chopped off the end of the batt tray and extended it. It was still possible to 'load' the battery into the tray with the car on ramps or jack / axle stands at the front. It is a steep angle of attack but no acid came out.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

You can keep the Caterham tray and the location under the carbs by using a Renault battery ref 77 01 410 003, price is about £ 27

Important to by directly at a Renault agent, otherwise a not original part will be longer and not fit in the tray.

This location will offer you a lower center of gravity

More informations at www.bonzai.fr

eric

Hi John

I re-located the battery on my 93 XFlow dedion to the top of the passenger footwell as per later Caterhams.

I got a genuine stainless tray from Redline Components and the battery from a company in Guildford (off a BMW motorbike I think).

No probs at all with engine crank speed.

John Alston