Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyres for SLR wheels

ian balson

The only other usual suspects are Yoko 021Rs (possibly the best compromise road tyre available for the 7 with superb wet weather ability, very good dry ability and good wear rate) or 032Rs (alleged to be not as good in the wet by some - I've yet to try them - better in the dry but not as good wear wise).

Both of these are availble in 205/13 or wider (but I'd be inclined not to go any wider).

C7 AJM

I've no experience of running 032's ,but they were on my list before I upgraded my Seven...George Polley in Heathfield East Sussex is The man for YOKO's.

The CR500 is an excellent allround tyre with very good wet weather grip, ACB 10's are better in the dry ,you can get them in varied compounds,but have a tendancy to tramline on road surfaces.

Hmmmm.

Yoko seem to have 6" or 6.5" as the "permitted" rim widths for 205s...

I wonder what impact putting them on wider rims will have to insurers (mine are on 7"s).

This rim width seems narrow to me (ed. after : Avons equiv. CR500 has a recommended width of 8"!), and would indicate that you'd need something like 245s on an 8.5" rim. I'd say that this is way too big for the back of a Caterham, if you could buy tyres that wide for 13" rims (8.5" ACBs are only about 215s ed. after : according to Avon's site this is wrong! 8" ACB10s are equivalent to 245s...).

None of which helps you very much!

205 32Rs are iro 60-70 a corner, or about 2/3s the price of the CR500s. 21Rs are about 10 quid cheaper I think. For something that runs out so quickly (3k-7k miles) I'm prepared to compromise a bit on outright grip (it'd be interesting to see comparative times round a lap of a circuit) to save a fortune in new tyres!

C7 AJM

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 19 Mar 2001 17:29:31