Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Air/oil separator

Ian Humphris

Is there a common leak issue with any of the connectors going in/out of the separator tank? If so, does anyone have a quick cure all?

Mine is currently spewing quantities of oil along the bottom of my car (good for winter corrosion, bad for oil consumption).

All answers welcome...

When I put my car in for some remedial work at the factory they told me that I had a small leak coming from the drain plug on the apollo and this was because I hadn't fitted the doughty seal when I built the car. As it turns out there was no doughty seal in the kit (I queried it at the time and was told I didn't need it). So, Caterham said they'd fit one in time for when I picked the car up. Unfortunately when I next changed the oil I found they hadn't....

So in all my suggestion is to check for a washer under the apollo drain plug flange!

Neil.

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

I also had a leak on my Apollo, as fitted by Classic Carriage, they cured it with some hylomar. When I stripped the engine after blowing head gasket back in April I found that there was no seal on the drain bolt on the Apollo tank. As the tank has a chamfered hole I found a suitable 'O' ring to fit the bolt and this now seals perfectly in the chamfer. No leaks since doing this.

Colin

Hmm, I see a pattern forming! The chamfer is supposed to house a doughty seal, like an O ring but incorporated in a metal washer so that it doesn't move out of the chamfer. That's the proper item for the job but any of the solutions mentioned will do it.

Neil.

Better to burn away and fade out, than to burn out and fade away....

• Leadership Team

Yep, fitted my Apollo earlier this year - didn't seem to make sense that there was no seal on the drain plug, but I checked, re-checked, checked again the fitting instructions and there is DEFINATELY NO MENTION of any seal for the drain plug. None supplied either *confused*

It's a sod to seal if you leave it dry though!

It must be a rust proofing treatment built in at Caterham especially for track destined cars 😬

Stu.