Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy case for type 9 gearbox

AMMO

• Leadership Team

Hi All,

Just to say that I now have most of the promised cheques - There are two more that I was told to expect, but I am going to place the order on Saturday, so if you want to join this, please hurry up *wink*

Quaife said that there is a manufacturing run of these cases going through at the moment that should be ready in just under 2 weeks. Hopefully this will be ours although they will obviously not promise this until they have received our firm order...

I'll keep all informed - Michael.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Leadership Team

Hello all,

I have had confirmation from Quaife that they have received the order and cheque which I sent. *smile*

They have asked for re-confirmation that the gearbox cases will all be used with the standard Ford stubs. I know that this will be the case for me – is this different for anyone?

Regards,

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Sinon - If you're going with BGH then I'm 99.999% sure that you still have the Ford stub.

However, I'd appreciate if you could double check as this is what a fair few of us are doing!

Regards - Michael.

Michael, when you say 'ford stubb' you are refering to the nose/ bearing carrier. The bolt pattern is what they are trying to clarify, as formula/ atlantic and other variations use a different set up with weird hydraulic release bearings.

Yes mine is the standard ford pattern. *thumbup*

Support the 7 Society...... Ehhh?

I've spoken to Chris at BGH. The Quiafe layshaft uses needle rollers so needs a different shaft. The Ford layshaft runs un a roller bearing so uses the standard layshaft.

There are 2 types of type 9 box, the 2 litre and the 2.8 (xr4i) The 2.8 (XR4i), which is normally fitted to Caterhams, uses the stub for Ford & BGH innards.

So, if your planning to refit the standard Ford innards or BGH innards you need the case machined for the stub. Anything else you best check with the supplier (including Quaife)

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

According to Brian & Chris it's the stub on the end of the layshaft. Ford & BGH lay gears are one piece running on a layshaft supported by roller bearings. The quife laygears are seperate and slide on splines on a shaft. This shaft is smaller so runs on needle rollers and therefore doesn't have the stub.

If we tell Quaife that a standard 2.8, XR4i gearset is being fitted then they will supply correct casing. (ONLY applies to those with standard or BGH gearsets using the XR4i box).

Check with the supplier of your gearset if you are in doubt.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

• Leadership Team

OK - so here's my understanding of the requirements:

Norman Verona Standard Ford Stub - will be fitted with BGH internals

Barry Train Machined for a Quaife Dog Box

Simon Bell Ford Stub - will be fitted with BGH internals

Michael Calvert Ford Stub- will be fitted with BGH internals

Nick D TBA

Peter T Ford Stub

Davey B TBA but likely to be standard Ford

Andy Barefoot TBA

Is that correct so far?

Regards - Michael.

Michael,

I have sent a photo of my box. However, having seen the more recent replies, it is best I take the 'stub' off and look at the bearing behind it to make absolutely sure. If there is a Quaife build reference number I will also send you that. Can't do this until tonight though.

Thanks

Barry

Edited by - BarryT on 2 Nov 2004 14:25:33

Edited by - BarryT on 2 Nov 2004 14:26:11

Barry,

You're not looking at the right bit. The stub shaft and bearing are for the layshaft, not the main input shaft.

Ford has produced two variants of the T9 case, to suit two different layshafts. These can be identified by examining the front face of the gearbox (with the bellhousing & gasket removed). The early type of layshaft fits flush with the front face, and all that is visible is the end of a 21mm bar below the input shaft bearing cover. The later layshaft is the “stub” under discussion, and which has a flange of about 40m dia secured to the front of the casing by 3 (usually blue) bolts. Most Caterham-supplied T9 gearboxes had this later shaft.

Quaife laygears are available to suit both types of layshaft, and they both use loose needle-roller bearings. (The early Ford laygears use the same needle-rollers, while the later ones use a caged roller bearing with the stub).

Finally, as mentioned in my early posting (see top of page 6), Quaife make a conversion layshaft that allows a late-type case to be used with an early-type laygear. This is the layshaft mentioned in Michael’s original summary of the Quaife offer on page 5.

Nick