Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy case for type 9 gearbox

AMMO

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael,

Could you get me a QMAMC5 case too please?

The layshaft is only required if you have a non-XR4i type 9 box. These have a long layshaft which runs right through the laygear and which fits flush with the front (bellhousing) face of the case. The Caterham-supplied boxes usually have a short spigot layshaft which has is secured by 3 bolts through a flange on the front face. The Quaife case is machined to take this later bolt-in spigot shaft and their layshaft is required if you wish to fit an early long layshaft gearkit into this case.

If anyone is considering buying a Quaife gearkit to fit into a later 3-bolt type case (iron or aluminium), then I would recommend that they use the Quaife layshaft and the matching laygear.

I have had problems with the spigot wearing and the front of the (iron) case cracking on several occasions when using the short layshaft with a Quaife gearkit and a powerful engine.

Nick

• Leadership Team

OK – new Summary of who wants what.

I propose to put a deadline of next Monday evening to close this. After this time, I will talk again with Quaife to see what deal we can get on the lids with the number of requests that we have. I will then request cheques for the appropriate value and place the order when I have these.

I believe the current interest to be as follows. Any changes/additions, please let me know.

Barry Train CONFIRMED - 1 x Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5

Norman Verona CONFIRMED 1 x Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5

Simon Bell CONFIRMED 1 Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5 and 1 x Lid

Myself CONFIRMED 1x Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5 and 1x Lid

David Chesney AWAITING CONFIRMATION 1 x Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5

Nick D CONFIRMED 1x Alloy Gearbox case QMAMC5

Luke Beaumont CONFIRMED 1x Lid ONLY

Regards,

Michael.

• Leadership Team

OK - Quaife are preparing me a formal quote, then we should be good to go.

Peter - where dod you find the reference QMAMCS? I cannot see it in their catalogue, but have asked them for their best price as part of this overall buy.

Regards,

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Quick update -

Matt at Quaife was supposed to be checking availabilty with the parts manager yesterday and coming back to me. He hasn't ☹️

I sent him a chasing e-mail at lunchtime and hope that by monday we will have an answer.

Regards - Michael.

• Leadership Team

Called them this afternoon - they close at 3:30 on a Friday *mad* Wish I could go home at that time from work *mad*

Will call first thing on Monday...

They make a great product, but Not impressed with customer service skills at the moment.

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Right - Now we are getting somewhere.

I now have the quote, and as long as we get 5 or more takers for the casing, and 4 or more for the lids, the prices are confirmed as follows.

We can get the QMAMCSQ maincase for £280 + VAT = £329 instead of list £350+VAT = £411.25

We can get the QMATC5 Cover for £49.30+VAT = £57.92 instead of list £58 + VAT = £68.15

For some eason, the package price has come in about £6 more than previously quoted, but still a good discount overall.

Shipping is £12 + Vat per order or they will ship the whole lot to one destination for £30 (perhaps of use if anyone is around the Bucks/Berks area and wants to pick up from me?)

Peter- they have confirmed that the QMAMCS is the same product, but with some different machining to the lid. They confirm that they can provide this for the same price as above.

So, if you are still interested, please could you confirm this to me at my home address Michael_calvert@dsl.pipex.com and put a cheque for the appropriate amount in the post. My home address is

35 Portland Close

Burnham

Berks SL2 2LT.

Regards,

Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 18 Oct 2004 19:44:35