Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy case for type 9 gearbox

AMMO

Roger

It was my intention to put a dipstck / filler on my cover. I also want to put a drain plug in the casing somewhere so I can change the oil regularly. The filler plug will have a magnet on it to collect any metal particles. The dipstick would be a seperate item for checking the oil level. Having looked at this it seems a bit tight to have a dipstick permanently installed (unless anybody knows any different). It was very reassuring to hear what BHG had to say about the Quaife casing.

Simon

I was a bit curious about the BDA registration number. I spoke to one of the previous owners of my 1989 car and apparently it was built with a BDA. When that went pop a Crossflow was fitted. Since then I have fitted a Zetec. That's now coming out and a Duratec is being fitted. My car is a bit of a whore. At least she's sticking to the same family of engines, all Fords, no Rovers or VX's. 😬

AMMO

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammo

I have got a dipstick fitted in my top cover.

Its at the r/h front of the cover and at a bit of an angle.

The cover and box were built by BGH so he may be able to give you details of the dipstick.

I can bring it with me when I collect the casing if you would like to have a look.

I am sure you will see the light and fit a good old heavy vx enigne one day *tongue*

James

Su77on Se7ens

James

I tried responding earlier but I was laughing so much I had to take my trousers off to dry.

Fitting a VX. Hooo hooo hooo, haaa haaa haaa !!!!!

I'm actually building a Duratec to replace a VX in a customer's car. I won't mention his name unless you VX owners go around his house and threaten him with violence. I could never forgive myself.

Actually, now I've had a bit of fun, the VX is a great engine. Just a bit porky. Just the same way that some guys like fat birds, some people like VXs. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Thanks for the offer of bringing up the cover for me to have a butcher's at. See you soon. 😬

AMMO

James

Good to see you have a sense of humour. *thumbup* 😬 We could do with a few more laughs.

I like to take young boys in my car! My youngest son only weighs 30 kilos. Add this to my 60 kilos and it is still less than some of the people who contribute to this forum who cannot get into a Seven with the hood up. *biggrin*

AMMO

• 9 months later...
  • Leadership Team

Hello All,

I am planning on having my gearbox upgraded by BGH over the winter and on going to the Quaife Alloy case as a weight saving measure at the same time.

AMMO managed to get a good deal on a bulk buy of the Quaife alloy cases last year. Is there anyone else interested in clubbing together and going for another bulk buy? I would be happy to arrange this if there is the interest.

Regards,

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Good suggestion Simon - I'll start a new thread to see who else would be interested.

For me, the Quaife casinmg makes a lot of sense. It's not an AWFUL lot of money when rebuilding the gearbox anyway, and it's a very useful weight saving and a lovely and strong piece of kit.

Regards,

Michael.

timbo

Shut up........budget.....that went out the window when I switched to Caterham *eek*

The alloy maincase was always in the budget.........to leave it out would now be a potential saving!! *wink*

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

• Leadership Team

Right - here's the deal and it looks like a good one!

The Alloy casing which saves 4.5kg is normally £345, they are willing to offer for £276 if we can get 5 orders together.

The Layshaft which I believe is also required is normally £45 but they will offer for £36, again for a minimum order of 5.

The Top cover which they recommend for additional strength they will reduce from £58 to £46.40 for 5.

All of this is plus VAT and delivery to be discussed.

Full details are on Page 16 of Quaife's catalogue - here

We have 4 people interested so far. Anyone else?

Regards - Michael.

• Leadership Team

(As posted on ChitChat sorry for duplication)

Ok - This is starting to look good.

So far, we have interest from the following - each interested in 1 x Quaife Ford Sierra alloy main case (5 sp) part number QMAMC5 as seen on page 16 of Quaife's catalogue here

Barry Train

Norman Verona

Simon Bell

David Chesney

Myself

I would appreciate if you could re-confirm your interest in this to my home e-mail address which is michael_calvert@dsl.pipex.com

If everyone confirms, we are ready to go. Based on this I'll confirm the order with Quaife and request a cheque for the value. This will then just leave the question of shipping to be resolved.

if anyone else is interested in joining this bulk buy, please let me know ASAP.

Best regards,

Michael.

• Leadership Team

Ok - just waiting for re-confirmation from David and we will be good to go.

David - if you could please drop me a note confirming that you are still interested, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks - Michael.