Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alloy case for type 9 gearbox

AMMO

Although a bit steep at around £400.00 for four kilos weight saving I'm tempted to buy one. Is there more than one manufacturer of these? Best place to buy? Are they reliable? I have heard stories of casings cracking. If this is the case I will steer clear as the car is mainly for road use and I don't want any reliability problems.

AMMO

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Quaife ali casing is the one to go for. They also do an ali cover to go with it.

Burtons prices are £345.00 + VAT for the case and £58.00 + VAT for the cover.

I am willing to organize a bulk buy if enough people are interested.

AMMO

Ammo

I`m planning to use an alloy main case for my new gearbox......I`m planning to buy the whole gearbox though but if you can get a significant saving I may be tempted. I have a type 9 lying here so I could get a gearkit and get someone locally to build it.

FOR SALE 1999 Birkin S3 2.0 Zetec 170bhp FOR SALE

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec

The price I have for the casing is £293.25 + VAT and for the cover is £49.30 + VAT. Delivery is extra. I can have the lot delivered to me. Locals who collect will not incur any further charge. Delivery for those who want the casings sent by courier will be £10.00 + VAT.

Casings are in stock but covers need to be made. The stock pressed steel cover can be used while we wait for the ali covers to be delivered for those that want them.

We need a minimum of five orders to get the price quoted. Place your orders and we'll go ahead.

AMMO

Jase

Don't know, I didn't ask.

I think the best way to do this is that I collect all the money and pay them. I don't think they will want to mess around doing five individual invoices and taking five payments. It would no longer be a single order for five units. I am more than happy to supply a copy of their invoice to me so you can verify that the payments are equally split between the five purchasers.

All I want is to be able to buy one as cheaply as possible for myself. I have 'phoned around transmission people and can confirm that this is the top rate of discount given to the trade. There are around ten on the shelf at the moment but that situation could rapidly change.

If anybody can get these cheaper than I can with this deal, I'll buy one from you! 😬

AMMO

To my untrained eye.. you guys are nutz.. Toyota 5speder is in Alloy, Mazda (rx7) is in alloy.. BOTH are far superior boxes by anyone's yardstick.. Oem ratios alone are worth the price of admission.. which Ain't even close to what yer contemplating for the 'housing' alone.

Even Lotus is finally going to Toyata drive units.

Is there some unspoken rule that forces one to 'buy British" against all odds.

Bare the type 9 is very widely used in this country therefore spares etc. are very easy to get hold of the same could not be said of the other two. Also bellhousings become an issue there are 1001 bellhousings for type 9's to go on K-series, VX and Crossflow (probably others too).

If it were that easy then surely someone would have done it by now?

Lotus have gone to Toyota units due to them being ready approved for US emission regulations and it being easy to source the spares out there for them. As Rover does not exist in the US using the K-Series was going to be impossible for them.

Bare

The Toyota does not fit a Ford, Rover or Vauxhall engines. It probably doesn't fit the clutch or output shaft. There is no chance in the world that the gearbox mountings or gearshift locations are the same. Once you have addressed all these issues it is no longer a cheap box is it?

Most Caterhams are fitted with a Type 9. It makes sense to lighten what you have rather than get involved in a major transplant.

As aside I'm sure my Lotus Excel had a Toyota box in it. Circa 1984 vintage.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 14 Nov 2003 16:53:12