Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1700 X flow block

Lee Levy

My 1700 x flow began to steam from the exhaust, and blow oil out the crank breather. As the engines done about 9 K miles, i took it to a Company called Farriday Engineering (came highly recommended). After the engine was stripped it appears that the cams very badly worn (piper 250) and there is some very strange markings on No 2 Bore. Mike at farriday is sure that the water and bore have been breached. So we are trying to get old of a new block. Has any one got any ideas, as it appears the phrase as rare as rocking horse poo seems to fit.If i can get a new block he intends to fit a new piper 270 cam, replace the srings Vulan fitted and do some more mods to the inlet manfold. As the weather and lighter nights are not that far away i cant bare to think that the muscles in my accelerator leg will go to waste. Please help

Regards

Lee

1990 W*******d 1700 x flow

Lee,

Are you certain that the block is split? Has it been crack tested or pressure tested. Sometimes water from a blown head gasket can leave strange witness marks.

Even if there is a failure it may be possible to fit a liner to provide a 100% repair. This would depend on the type of damage and the type of block that you have.

why not try a second hand block often engine builders prefer old road car blocks as the have had plenty of heating and cooling which i am sure ive read in triple CCC IS desirable, motoring news, triple C OR practical classics would be a good place to start searching or the various engine building firms,