Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking fuel tank

Mike Ellis

I recently applied a coating of waxoyl to my 18 month old car, and after a week or so I noticed a small damp patch of fuel on the underside of the tank. Upon cleaning the area, there is a bit of corrosion there.

Is this terminal for the tank or could I use a patch of some kind.

Advice gratefully received.

18 months old. It is the ali tank then.

Corrosion so fast here seems odd. Do you run the car on salted roads often? Waxoyl is fine but using the available sprays from Halfords will apply a thick covering to what you can see and may well not get into the crevices.

I use an compressor to atomise the waxoyl and the pressure gets the stuff into all corners and gaps. Nice and thinly too. Regular top ups during the winter months.

A good welding shop will be able to fix the tank whatever construction material. They should know to fill it with CO and fix it up.

Most temporary fixes don't seem to last that long.

Removal of the tank isn't too hard. Off with the roll over bar.

Out with the boot, drain/disconnect, undo and lift her out.

The ali tank is much lighter than the old steel type. I changed over on my previous 7. The new ones all have ali I believe.

Thanks Steve, yes I ran it through its first winter. I hope it's not its last! It was sprayed underneath with a corrosion resistant layer, but it clearly hasn't provided 100% cover.

Seems to be just a tiny hole - doesn't drip. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for the waxoyl. If patches aren't any good, I wonder how much a welding job costs compared to a new tank...