Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What are the weak points in a xflow

BrianHorn

If you were to list them in the order they would most likely fail 🤔

I had my engine rebuilt and have fitted forged pistons but everything else is SuperSprint spec.

What to do next? Steel rockers/posts etc, vernier cam sprocket, duplex chain set..... 🤔

Brian

'The Wizard' is a 1989 de Dion SuperSprint in Red with Silver stripe..

I am always rather pleased that I changed to 3D ignition.

It does away with all that distributor stuff (it was a mystery to me that they ever worked properly in the first place!)and it gives you a whopping big spark at the right time.

At the time of my rebuild at 27K miles I was also persuaded to have a new camshaft installed (same super sprint spec though) as although the old one didn't show any real signs of wear it can all happen reasonably quickly.

Mike

Take this as a pinch of salt but I would say that the camshaft can wear prematurely, as the oiling at low (tickover) rpm is marginal, and hence the cam can wear quickly. Moral - drive it, do not let it idle excessively.

Otherweak points are probably due to the revs you wish to use, and are not a weak point, but weak at high revs - here you can take your pick, timming chain, rocker posts, valve springs, end bolts ....

Greg, Q 86 NTM (slow Green XFlow)

If you want to tackle an engine upgrade in a more methodical manner, you should ask yourself how many revs you intend to use. To make 125 BHP you only need about 6000 rpm, for 135 BHP, you would need 6500 rpm (assuming 1700cc). Roger King et al can tell you what needs to be upgraded far any given rpm. Is that any help?

About to unpick the wiring loom

Weak points of a Supersprint - assuming it is factory spec.

No1 The pistons

No2 Incompatible valve and guide materials leading to rapid wear (post 1996 will probably not suffer this due to an apparent change to valve design)

No3 The pistons

No4 The igntion system

No5 The pistons

No6 Big end bolts

No7 The pistons

No 8 Balancing not what it could be

No9 Gasflowing varies between good and dreadful

No10 The pistons

No11 Carburettor choke size and jetting (Not really a reliability issue, more one of performance).

No12 No pooftahs (sorry that's Monty Python)

Brian

The answer is to get Roger out of retirement and to build you a Xflow same as mine - 155bhp, sounds fab, loads of grunt, sounds fab, revs great, sounds fab, spits flame (occasionally), sounds fab, feels bullet proof.

BTW it sounds like a Caterham should - not like these poncy K series do

Thanks Roger............ Your the man!! (as the say up here in the Hebrides)

PS Graham Routledges old car, bought it last year.

THE ONLY SE7EN IN THE OUTER HEBRIDES!!

Thanks all,

Roger, I've done the pistons!! Accralite 83.5mm forged *thumbup*

I've done the ignition system: Constant Energy System from your good self.

Had the head converted to unleaded during rebuild, so hopefully with new valves/guides of a compatible nature!

Brian

'The Wizard' is a 1989 de Dion SuperSprint in Red with Silver stripe..

Edited by - BrianHorn on 11 Nov 2003 12:33:18

Extra dowel in the flywheel and duplex chain are nice to have, as are steel rocker posts. In case you haven't heard standard pistons can be a problem *smile* Other nice things to have are a top quality headgasket, far fewer failures with a good one and fit a header tank so that the Head doesn't run low on water when hot. This can be linked to headgasket failure and really only applies to Crossflows in Caterhams