Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newsflash...K2RUM moves under own power...

EFA

But they would have, they would have...teeth.gif

Doc, c'mon, spill the beans, what *exactly* were you on on that mad charity-ridden escapade that blew up your nexus...

The only answer is FULLERS ESB COUNTY and avast to allcomers etc. etc. etc. (note, authors att.)

P.S.

You can tell by these missives that me an ol' Alex are the only two buggers on duty every night...smile.gif

Andy

Alex / FA

Last year I had helix made kevlar fibre plates in my AP Racing twin plate 7.5 inch clutch and it made no noise when disengaged. Thius year I have helix made sintered metal (but full diameter not paddle) plates in an AP racing twin plate 5.5 inch clutch and it hisses and scratches when disengaged.

I'm sure it's the plates that make the noise not the clutch design.

I think you are right Graham - its just the contact surface area of the sintered material is that much larger, and the rotational radius is smaller which reduces the frequecy of the noise - perhaps making it more audible??? Or am I talking carp??

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

Sorry, Andy, but all this stuf about how good the race technology is is just b****cks. The BDG had no flywheel, not much torque low down, and a horrible clutch. You really needed to concentrate (or use the Carmichael technique) to avoid stalling. The r500 has no flywheel, but lots of torque and a "normal feeling" clutch. It drives as easily as a Fiesta. I have no problems with quirks, but these days, you really don't have to put up with them any more.

Keith,

In comparison an R500 has a heavy flywheel and a road car clutch (albeit an AP RAcing cover).

When I see you I'll let you try the gear to gear changes the 5.5inch clutch allows and you will see for yourself.

Arnie Webb

Hi Keith, I'm not saying that it (race technology) is better - just that it was designed for racing i.e. to be as bullet-proof as possible (unlike F1 technology, which isn't, their component design has a life measured in hours and tracked by computers, much like a commercial Aicraft's.) I'm a bit of a Luddite in a way, detest automatics, not happy with "Blade"/motorcycle gearboxes, like eccenticity. Arnie and Peter have built their own "one-offs", just like the BDG was, hence these teething problems. Also, in fairness, their clutches are smaller than the BDG race clutch and probably, my guess, harder to "control". As for stalling it caught me out once in a blue moon, my Fiance Caroline also had no problems with it once she'd got used to it (the learnng curve was quick, sure we both stalled it several times initially but once you had the bite-point sussed it was plain sailing), it's all a matter of degree. Having said all that I will be going the Peter and Arnie route on my next project, a modern clutch/drivetrain that can cope with circa 300bhp+. If I have to go back to "old" BDG/Quaiffe technology to achieve what I want to achieve then I wouldn't hesitate, complete with the heavy clutch action.

Andy

FAT ARNIE - Novice, Fast Arnie, gone but not forgotten, and Fiona Arnie leaving trails of nappies.............

What have the Webbs been eating?

Lettuce question.gif

Fat and occasionally fast FH wink.gif

Ofend thee???? Naaa, just my sick sense of humourteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Just thought I'd check I can still double post if required....

Arnie Webb

Edited by - fat arnie on 22 Mar 2001 10:11:59