Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo Drive

Lee Levy

i am trying to get a new White speedo drive (spline) for my gearbox. The engines a 1700 x flow with what i think is a 5 speed Sierra box. even though the box has RS2000 written on the top in yellow marker. Any ideas were i can get one Ford just dont want to Know.

Please help Lee

As no-one else has replied....

I think you are talking about the plastic driven gear that fits into the gearbox under the big metal bung and drives the speedo cable. If not then all the rest is bollocks.

These come in a number of flavours, each is a different colour and has a different number of teeth, each will drive the speedo cable at a different speed so keeps the speedo close for a given set of tyre sizes and diff ratios. I'm afraid I don't know how many teeth a white one has or which car it comes from or what part number it has. Some part numbers were posted on the Se7ens mailing list in the last couple of days, check the archives

Why are Fords not interested? Because it's a kit car and they don't know which part you want presumably. You could try the Ford dealer in the next town and hope to get the one helpful and interested sales assistant, not likely I know.

If your drive gear is broken then can you count the number of teeth? It'll be around 25 to 28, something like that. The Ford man can look at his parts cd and it'll tell him 25T, 26T, 28T etc etc so that may let him pick the right one. If he knows a number he'll be able to order it.

Try SPC, they build the gearboxes for Caterham so should know which of the speedo driven gears are used. They'll almost certainly have them in stock too and won't give a stuff about part no's. http://www.spcomponents.co.uk/

Try BGH he might help.

Lastly have you tried Caterham?