Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Power upgrade on a VVC

loisechr1

You wont see 200BHP from just TBs, ECU and exhaust cam, you should also consider your pistonsd which will be at risk above 180BHP and 7400.

A recipe for 200BHP would be

Forged pistons

Ditch the VVC mechs

Fully ported head with BP285/740 one piece cams and Piper springs

VVC blanking kit

Verniers

Direct to head throttle bodies

Airbox

Decent 4-2-1 exhaust

Emerald M3DK ECU.

Oily

The VVC inlet cam has limited lift and slow valve acceleration, it's also fragile at high engine speeds so beware.. the hotter exhaust cam is only 264 degrees as well..

On a similar spec. but with plenum and 160TB the most I have seen is 179BHP, with the addition of TBs I would expect to see around 185-190BHP, maybe a little more if you are lucky, despite the forged pistons the revs will be limited by VVC failure paranoia.

Bear in mind that the timing of the VVC mechs with respect to one another is determined by no fewer than 4 dowel pin/slot arrangements which gives plenty of scope for misalignment.

Most of those I have checked have been badly retarded (up to 12-15 degrees). As yet there are no verniers available to correct this situation so your cam timing will be in the lap of the Gods. Variations in VVC timing have a profound affect on engine output.

Considering the time and expense involved in the VVC setup you suggest, I'd just replace the VVC cams with some BP285Hs and be done with it. I doubt you'll see any major loss of torque at the bottom end and the midrange should be better with the top end being attainable without risking any sort of valve train failure.

Mapping will be easier too.

BTW have you asked Karl when the VVC M3DK will be available?

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 9 Nov 2003 23:31:15

Ok Oily

Point taken!

I am not looking for a high revving engine. The present rev limiter is set very nicely for me (@7200rpm I think. *confused*)

My aim is just to improve the VVC engine and have more torque/power at the same revs. 180bhp would already be a 20-to 30 bhp improvements, which is quite good (I’m running a 52mm tb).

Maybe I should just go for your kit K06a and upgrade later on to an Emerald+tb's.

If I understand correctly, the forged pistons are needed only if the engine revs high. Therefore, if I do not change the current rev limit I must be ok.

Variations in VVC timing have a profound affect on engine output

Is it impossible to have the perfect timing? If yes, is it just a question of time and patience? Could you do it?

Why vernier is not available yet? I am sure there is a demand for them as for the VVC Emerald. Maybe some is knows when they will be available.

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

Jack

If you watch this space on Wed/Thursday I shall (hopefully) be posting the results of one of Dave's (DVA power) VVC to solid cam conversions, inc forged pistons,BP285h cams etc etc 😬, this started out as a VVC only conversion but the cam timing was way out, as oily said it's in the lap of the gods, the conversion was still a vast improvment over the stock engine, but not in the 175-180 bracket.

I've been round the same route as you are thinking about, if your factory cam timing is OK your on to a real winner, if not there are no verniers being made at the moment for the VVC and Emeralds ECU is some time away, but I will ask Dave Walker again on Wed for any news.

hope thats of help

Mark Bennett