Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Caterham K Series Dry Sump Kit

Mark Durrant

Pace do one for the K series. I'm not a K person but I believe the Pace one is considerably cheaper than Caterham's own so the wedge needed is smaller.

In my view the Pace one is also a better design as it uses a short toothed belt rather a long floppy poly vee belt and a 3 stage external pump rather than retaining the internal pressure pump and bodging on a scaveng pump.

Pace are on http://paceproducts.co.uk/

The belts are similar in length, and there's pros and cons of both installations but I have to say that the potential for the PACE one to be implemented with some custom "improvements" makes it worthwhile to me, not least because it is significantly cheaper to start with.

Just don't automatically opt for the Brise tank. PACE do a lot of tanks of their own, including some which can be split for better cleaning. The Bris one seems like a good idea for packaging in front of the engine but out of a sample of 4 that I know, one has been disastrous - venting oil as well as air through the breather.

Another consideration is that the PACE system can be installed with the engine in place. Not a chance with the Caterham system.

All that said, I'm very satisfied with my Caterham system but I bought i from new.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

On this particular one we think it may be to do with angles. There is supposed to be a deflection plate inside the inlets, but it looks like it is in the wrong place, allowing oil to bypass the plate and move straight on to the breathers.

Anyway, the Brise tanks are successful elsewhere, but they're not the only ones on offer. That was my point really.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

> The belts are similar in length

The picture on the Pace web site shows a very short toothed belt with approx 150mm between centres of the two pulleys, I assume this was a picture of the K application could well not be of course. From my memory (notoriously dodgy) the Caterham one is about 18 inches long with a spring loaded tensioner in the middle.

The toothed belt doesn't need tension to work so is under no strain. The poly vee needs tension to work and to avoid flapping about on the long unrestrained runs.

Engineering wise the Pace system is to my mind a better solution. But there are indeed pros and cons.

• 3 weeks later...