Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering wheel wobble

malc

For no apparent reason car (1700 x/f) suddenly developed s/wheel wobble at 50-60 mph, disappearing at 80-90mph. Checked bearings, suspension, rack, bolts,tyres, had wheels balanced - all seem ok. Anything else to check ?

had a similar prob. try cleaning mating faces: of wheel and hub. and torquing the nuts in the correct sequence in a number of steps. this will help make sure the wheel is centralised, do this while wheel is off ground.

could also be tyre set - if the car has sat stationary for a while in the cold

Edited by - jamesm on 10 Nov 2003 16:26:42

Strangly enough my car started this at some point in the summer and I never found what it was!! It went as suddenly as it appeared.

Balancing the wheels will take into account any muck on the wheels or bulges in the tyres etc so if the wheels have been balanced the problem is unlikely to be there. If they haven't been balanced then this is obviously the first place to look.

It may be worth checking the alternator because as I sit here I remember that I did have a problem with this losing a bolt. Now I can't remember whether this was before or after the wheel wobble but I'd imagine that a lose alternator will cause some vibration that at certain revs could cause harmonic resonance amplifying the shake that could cause the car to twitch and so the wheel to wobble.....

Am I clutching at straws *confused* Well, it is my job.

*thumbup* 😬

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬