Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Getting bushes around right angle on anti roll bar

David M

Hi all,

Build is romping along nicely, but am now stuck, having struggled for a bit trying to get the two rubber bushes onto the rear anti-roll bar, I am sure there must be a trick technique for this.... tempted to heat the little suckers up in the oven but not sure if this will damage them....

Anyway any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated...... *smile*

David

Put them in a saucepan of boiling water. This will get them hot enough to be flexible but not hot enough to damage them.

I have always put mine on with plenty of washing up liquid to smooth their passage over the lumpy bits but recently others have claimed the chemicals in washing up liquid can damage them. Not sure what else to suggest, vaseline or KY perhaps?

What? Am I the only one who keeps the KY in the garage?

This is the hardest job in the world without the proper tool and the easiest with. Rubberlube is the stuff...slippy as a wet cat's 🙆🏻

You could also use undiluted wasing up liquid, but I wouldn't as it's thickened with salt.

Local car spares place will have rubberlube or equivalent

Paul

Cheers, will go and try the boiling water option...... and even more rubber lubricant.....

David

p.s If your using KY is that like some kind of automotive Industrial strength, KY I shall make sure I ask next time I go to halfords....... *tongue* he heee!!!

Solved......

Father came up with the wise words of wisdom........ the trick Is...

Rubber lubricant.... then open a vice just wider than the flat section, and whilst levering with the long anti roll bar, with the bush resting on the top of the jaws (not in them) push down and over and the little suckers just pop straight on, real easy.....

*smile*

David

• 8 years later...