Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dry sump tank for K-Series

SLR No.77

Steve , have you considered a tank that will sink into the bulkhead where the heater used to live ?

Alex Wong has used this setup for a few years - its a good design and an adequate capacity .

The tank kind of sits 2/3 out of the scuttle and 1/3 beneath , with a sleeve that retains it on the scuttle . I dont know where he bought it but I'm sure a quick email to him will sort it out .

I would go this route certainly instead of a bellhousing or one sat at the front of the engine if I were you .

hope this helps

Lotus 7 Club Speed Champion 2003 *eek*

South Wales Area Organiser *smile*

C7 TOP *tongue*

Right, tracked it down for you, ideal it is:

Original 1980s all steel Castrol GTX can, original RHD UK model, advertiser in France but can is in UK, with original cap and paint, emptied only once and has since been stored in my dad's shed. Occasional weekend use for refuelling lawnmower only. A rare opportunity to own a genuine period piece, never used in winter, £10 donation to NTL plus postage.

Contact Battered at the usual address, tell him to stop playing with his new welder and get the paint on his car sorted.

Can I say fairer than that?

😬Steve

• 3 weeks later...
I dunno what's wrong with the man, I reckon he's had too many mince pies. I've offered him a perfect Castrol GTX tin and he doesn't want to know because it's not baffled. He told me he'd found a fabricator welder to make one, which should be feasible in the good old industrial North, assuming the guy can weld better than I can (not too testing a criterion). Now he's still looking, evidently Santa didn't leave a nice shiny Pace jobbie under the tree.

I still think you have the best end of the deal Stu!

Mr welder will need to know his stuff to make one but it shouldn't be too bad. I would have thought that a horizontal baffle or two made most sense and would retain the oil in the bottom for longer.

My bellhousing DS tank has a top baffle at 45°, this seems to act as a foam breaker for the return line which makes sense. Air entrainment should be minimal provided the aerated (used) oil gets chance to run over a surface and obviously doesn't enter the other oil in the tank at high speed.