Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cat won't start .... :-(

caseyc

Not quite true - it will - from a jump start off another car......

After leaving the poor little 7 (1.6 Superlight more or less factory spec) over the winter I went out for a run to the Surrey meeting last night - starting the car from my Landrover.

Starts first time on a jump start, and I was hoping that a proper run would charge the battery up - but at the other end no joy at all - completely dead. Odd thing is that the lights still worked perfectly fine, just no turnover.

Anyone more mechanically minded know what I need to fix - is it just a visit to Halford for a new battery (but why did the lights work, and do Halford sell a battery for a Seven Superlight?)?

Or is it something like the alternator or starter motor - or one of those other things I know nothing about?

Thoughts???????????

Casey

p.s. Thanks to the seven owners giving me another jump start to get home last night.....it was icy cold with the top down at 12pm up the A3 but had a wonderful air of lunacy ;-)

Does it crank over on it own and not start? Does it go click and nothing?

It is possible to have a batt that has enough power to run the lights a bit but not to supply the ECU with enough juice after the starter motor has taken it all.

Also the crank sensor will not supply enough of a signal at slow cranking RPM.

Hence it goes with loads a power from a jump start.

I had this with my HPC. The starter would turn her over but the ECU was not capable of suppling a spark at the right time. I got some fantastic backfires! Frightened the neighbours at 7.00 in the morn.

New batt fixed it.

Caterham do the right sizr batt. If it's under carbs then you jack the car up to tilt it out. If it's on top then easy.

Many fit sealed lead acids etc. I think they are fine for fair weather motoring but would not want to try a start at 5 deg below with one! They are not of very high capacity.

I forgot to say that a fresh battery will do what yours is if the the car is run and the alternator is not charging properly. You may even cut out on the road as the current supply drops.

Was your batt fully charged from start? I guess not. From the posting you imply that it needed a jump to get going.

Put the batt on charge overnight. Does the car start now? If not then most likely a batt prob. If she starts and you drive 50 miles have a pub lunch for example and then won't start to get home I would suspect the alternator or regulator and you may well get stranded after your jump start.

If it is the battery and you've got a Banner raging bull you won't get one from Halfords. I had to get one from Caterham at a cost of 60 quid.

I had similar symptoms to you and it was simply the battery. Previous threads have suggested that the Banner batteries can lose their ability even to be recharged if they're left standing for 3 weeks or so. I keep mine on a battery conditioner now.

Banner batteries are on 01889 571100,they will give you a distributr in your area.I would take your old battery to a local dealer who can easily check if it's holding any charge.I too have bought a battery conditioner(airflow £40)good stuff!

CHEERS C7 POW

The Banner batteries die permanently if they discharge to a certain level.

Only option is to connect a trickle charger on a timer over winter.

Casey you'll need to buy a new battery. Try Redline in Caterham (closed weekends...)

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif