Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spark plugs for modified V V C 'K' 1800

CHRIS CLARK

Come on Chris! We're not talking 143BHP std spec VVC. You will be slap bang in VHPD territory when you've finished. The std champion plugs are well suited to the std spec tune with very little pre ignition (caused by the plug glowing red hod) at max power speeds. But it wouldn't hurt to run a grade colder. All that can go wrong is you may get a bit of fouling at prolonged idle (which won't happen, especially after what Warren sid about your cams). Its better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

BC

Actually Bob, I was trying to assertain whether those plugs you gave/sold me would work!!!!! Answers on a website please.

Cheers, Chris

PS. Pistons/rods being done early this Sat for collection late am. Shells also coming.Lightened F/wheel collected today!

Chris, the plugs I gave you are Champion RC6YCCs. Its just that they have been labeled Unipart to suit Rover. They are made by Federal Mogul who label them under the Champion brand for aftermarket and Unipart for Rover OEM use.

They'll be okay as long as you don't go doing much autobahn driving!!

BC

VVC Spark plugs! I would not bother with the standard Champion Platinum plugs at all. I had a very repeatable problem on trackdays with the standard plugs. Usually just before lunch the car would develop a misfire under load at about 6,000rpm. If you just replaced the plugs with new (Caterham supplied) Champion plugs the problem disappeared until the next trackday.

Using a slightly cooler running NGK plug, which I believe is used in the Elise racers, solved this problem. If you checked the impedance of the Champion plugs after the problem developed they were all different. Not being an expert in these things I suspect that the plugs were breaking down with the additional heat generated in the engine on trackdays.

The NGK plugs I used without any problem was a BKR7EVX. (About £30 a set instead of £60 for the Champion plugs)

Please do your own further research and speak to an NGK dealer, but this sorted my problem.

Regards, Andy