Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cucumbers included?

tony pashley

A long time ago there was, visible from the Greenwich-to-London rail line, a prominent graffito of some note.

Something said on the radio, yesterday, reminded me of this and suggested that it was still there, somewhat faded.

In large white letters, it read:

"I spit on your 47 vegetables''

Whatever this means, it has great potential as an all-purpose curse... and might even, in time, be absorbed into the shedding argot(?).

*confused*

tony

" ...our hero is moving up the subway stairs into the daylight. Beneath his leather jacket he holds a spray gun which has left the message R-A-E-L in big letters on the wall leading underground. It may not seem much to you, but to Rael it is part of the process going towards 'making a name for yourself'. When you're not even pure-bred Puerto-Rican the going gets tough and the tough gets going.''

Nothing new, is there?! That's from the sleeve of a Genesis album from thirty years ago.

"...and out of the subway - Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid - exits into daylight, spraygun hid... ... Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid - wipes his gun, he's forgotten what he did...

Anyone old enough to remember the song?

tony

There's something solid forming in the air,

The wall of death is lowered in Times Square.

Nobody seems to care,

They carry on as nothing's there.

The wind's blowing harder now,

Blowing dust in my eyes.

Dust settles on my skin,

Making a crust I can't move in,

And I'm hovering like a fly,

waiting for the aeroscreen on the freeway.

tony

On the way out of Llanelli (my home town ... looks the same, as I step down from the train, and there to meet me is my.........STOP THIS!)

is a bridge with the Welsh phrase "Cumry Am Bith" which is Welsh for "Wales Forever", the ironic part is that two out of the three Welsh words are spelt incorrectly! It should read "Cymru am Byth"

Not too exciting I know, but it depresses me every time I see it. That's my home town that is.

😬You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same. 😬

• 5 months later...