Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

fitting a Cosworth Turbo engine

dave hard

I'm aware there are a few cosworth powered 7s out there.

As I am looking into swapping the K for one of these are there any specific issues to bear in mind?

Obviously more power means more heat to try and lose but what else should I be worrying about?

I have already decided to drop out the 6 speed and replace it with a 5 speed box.

Due to a near complete lack of necessary spannering skills my role in this will be restricted to management and test drives 😬

oh and supplying the funds *eek*

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

From what I can gather, Cossie Turbo Power can be a bit of a hadfull *eek* & needs a fair bit of space *confused* The only 7 I would think about installing this engine would be a Dax 4x4, due to larger size & 4x4 traction.

Have you thought of the Duratec / VX route?

Only a thought.

SEiW500, see ya later.........

ah yes Duratec - the engine of the moment.

As the bandwaggon went past I gave it a long hard look and then decided that it was going to be far too expensive to justify in terms of "bangs per buck."

Easier to fit? hmmm not sure about that.

Possibly easier to fit to a 21 than a 7 due to less exhaust hassles but still tricky.

VX is still an option - there is a 21 floating around with one and very nice it is too.

Keep wondering if I could squeeze in a V6, the Alfa Romeo 250bhp perhaps.

Caterham 21 VHPD *cool* - one of the few *thumbup*

'ullo DH3,

Don't worry about the power - if SteveW can survive with a 260bhp Striker on Goodyear granite-compound 185 section tyres, I'm sure you'll be fine in the Nippy Truck.

I imagine that, as you said, heat and more particularly cooling, would be an issue. Not only will you need a chunky rad to cool the engine, you'll also need somewhere to put a decent sized intercooler - either that or a seriously chunky rad and use a chargecooler to cool the air/fuel mixture.

The exhaust will be on the other side, but I don't see that that should be a particular problem. You'll have to uprate the springs at the front to take account of the heavier engine, but that should be about it.

Dan

The cosworth turbo engine is too tall to fit under the bonnet and there's no room for the turbo. the 50 extra kg up front will mean that you will have to sort out the spring rates and handling afterwards. The duratec is definitely easier to install, but we'd all be interested in the result if you succeed.

About to unpick the wiring loom

A little off topic but here is a turbo-ford powered '7' with 570bhp/tonne. It is a lesser '7' but looks like great fun nonetheless! Had one of these Chevrons years before the S4 and whilst being a little agricultural they are great cars, I've seen them rolled and cartwheeled and running again a week or two later.

http://www.f40.co.nz/f40/Chevron.htm