Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedals too close

Graham Howard

Just got my crossflow on the road, built from a starter kit.

Problem is my right foot gets caught under the brake pedal. Any tips on increasing the distance between throttle and brake pedals or do I have to get myself some racing boots. I don't have enormous feet (size 9 1/2)

Thanks

Graham

Yup get some racing boots.... I've recently joined the Caterham ranks and thought I would have to alter the pedals. But, having got some boots and done some miles it now feels right. If I may (mis)quote something I read in a mag recently - "I like a car that forces you to think about your footwear..."

Have fun

Racing boots or thin-soled trainers (thin soled squash shoes are pretty good, also I would have thought rock climbing shoes / ballet shoes would be good too although I haven't tried themsmile.gif) - it's the only way to "feel" what you're doing and makes DDC heel and toe'ing a POP.

Andy

Monsieur Six - do you know of anywhere that will P/X my wellies for a pair of ballet shoes question.gif

Then I could call myself "Anna" blush.gif

Love

FH

p.s. I can do pirouetes but I have to wear a car not a tutu teeth.gif

Racing boots are a necessity if you have wide feet and 9 1/2 is big in Caterham terms. If you still need to move the pedals this can be achieved by bending the pedals themselves. I tried this by carefully removing, putting in vice (packed with cloth to protect the paint) and carefully bending with a soft faced mallet. Then carefully reassembling to find it wasn't quite right and repeated the process again and again. I could still be there now!!! The easy way to bend the pedals is in situ using a crow bar or suitable length of wood/metal. I know it seems crude, but it is effective and quick.

Paul R.

I have size nines and the widest feet known to mankind! I have never had a problem with the standard setup even in walking boots, concentrate hard on keeping your right foot brushing against the side panel of the car (unless braking obviously), works for me (until I wear a hole in the aluminium!)

Si

Si - I honestly can't believe you can drive your car in walking boots. I always thought that the Sparco boots thing was a pose before I bought my Caterham. My car from "the other side" (W*******d) had a far more spacious pedal box and I could drive it in trainers - I'm a size 8. I couldn't get to the end of the road in the Caterham without my Sparco's on - although you get the P**s taken out of you in Sainsburys.

Walking boots! The mind boggles! Pick a pedal - any pedal in mine. Graham get yourself some sparcos or borrow your sisters ballet shoes.

"Monsieur Six - do you know of anywhere that will P/X my wellies for a pair of ballet shoes?"

Alas, no FH, but you could always consider cutting them down in the interests of weight-saving.wink.gif

I suspect Scthumhacker drives with wellies sometimes, when he's in a punting-off mood...smile.gif

Andy

on 15 Mar 2001 12:43:49

Edited by - Number Six on 15 Mar 2001 12:44:51

Aves, it's true honestly!

I even drove in golf shoes once, not to be recommended though. However I do generally use a pair of suede Adidas skate shoes, these are almost as small as racing boots but definitely lack the laugh factor in Tesco's.

Si

I'm thinking of trying Brands on tuesday in flippers to make heel and toe easier:-)

We get down to "Which chassis year is it etc ?" 'cos the pedal box on a x-flow is about 50mm wider than a 'K' series (to do with the bellhousing). I use either 1) Sparco race boots or 2)A pair of 'Specialized' mountain bike shoes (without SPD's fitted). These were cheap, fit v. snugly and have a flashy 'S' on the side (for Seven of course!).

Two things. Remove the rubber covers on the clutch and brake but

drill gripp countersinks or fit any slip pedal covers trimmed down. You many get a note from the MOT man if you don't.

You can remove the pedals easily and bend them left or right depending what you want. You will need a solid vice to do this.

I have the clutch pedal a tad further to the right and the brake

pedal a little that weay too. We are only talking a couple of mm at most.

I had most problems with the clutch foot and running the clutch pedal a little higher (possible to adjust) means that my foot can easily pass between brake and clutch to the resting position and more importantly come back to the brake quickly.

I use Ecco slimline shoes for winter use and boating shoes for summer. Can't be wearing racing booties to work and they won't last long if you walk any distance in them.... I am size 9 by the way.

A bigfoot (size 11) writes...

Walking boots aren't too bad - since getting Sevened I've kept a keen eye on footware width, and the pair of walking boots I bought recently are about 1cm narrower than my work DM's. I had my first test drive in the DM's and it wasn't fun - had to stab the loud pedal with my toes!

Luke

I can't understand why you guys have a problem! I have wide size 9 feet and can drive my K series in virtually any of my 'ordinary' shoes (apart from one pair). Haven't tried wellies though. But if you are looking for an excuse to pose in your bright red Sparco booties then go for it.

Hi

I am just in the process of cutting and pasting my pedals being 6'4" and 9 1/2 shoe I have shortened ei raised and although already on the last setting cranked them back to allow the legs to be nearly straight.

Ring on 01502 563629 W if any more info required

I also sucumbed to the purchase of sparco shoes!

C7 RSR

Bob and Ann-Marie