Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Furious

Laurence Wilson

We live in a house with a thatched roof; next door live in a house with a thatched roof; half the houses in this village have thatched roofs and the ******** behind us have a bonfire and are letting off fireworks above our house *thumbdown*

*mad* NOT HAPPY *mad*

Peardrop

Edited by - Peardrop on 3 Nov 2003 20:30:43

Steve_B has the right idea. Tell the stupid 🙆🏻's that you are protecting your property and turn the hose on them.

On Wednesday there will be a huge firework display about half a mile from the house organised by Portsmouth CC. Over the last few nights there have been various garden bonfire parties. One cat has taken up residence under some shelves in the kitchen, on hearing any loud noise or seeing flashes from fireworks the other runs for a tiny space in the spare room between some boxes and the wall. They are TERRIFIED.

However I don't suppose any amount of pressure from the RSPCA/PDSA etc would persuade the PCC to stop this display or move it to somewhere that the noise will scare as few animals as possible. I was thinking of a barge moored offshore in the Solent.

Your entertainment is not justified if it hurts someone or something else.

Se7en's - the most fun you can have with clothes on Barbarella here

I hate fireworks being on sale to the general public *mad* *mad* *mad*

This nanny state wont let us (eg) buy more than 32 paracetemol tablets at a time in case it makes us sick yet its perfectly ok to go and buy a bl**dy great explosive device and endanger the lives and property of other people with it. *mad*.

Yet doing 34mph in a 30 limit on empty roads in the middle of the night is a crime worthy of being hung drawn and quartered *confused*

I'm not overly keen on organised fireworks either, as Sharon & I were set on fire a few years ago by a rocket which misfired *eek* fortunately without injury and they paid for the damage to our clothing. In todays claim for everything culture we could probably have made quite a bit of cash from it but we werent quite so moneygrabbing back then

Rant over, i feel much better now *cool*

Edit :- i did a search on fireworks on the BBC news page and the results are startling - see here

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport

Edited by - Nick Woods on 4 Nov 2003 09:27:34

Oh dear ☹️

I love fireworks, and the noisier the better... *thumbup*

...but... whereas I think it is not unreasonable to expect people to keep their pets in for one night of the year, it *is* annoying that fireworks are spread over such a wide period these days. Out newly aquired former stray (who has only just been allowed to start staying overnight from this previous w/e) disappeared for the whole of yesterday and really quite worried us.

[political rant]I see that the government (ha!) has jumped on another bandwagon and is likely to further restrict firework sales from small shops due to a couple of yobby happenings during the last week. Blair jerks his knees so hard and so often, it wouldn't surprise me if he was once the minister for silly walks[/political rant]

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

• Area Representative

It's a bit more than "a couple of yobby happenings" in my neck of the woods Myles ☹️ Fireworks are going off 24 hours a day and phone boxes, letter boxes, bins, even Anne Widdicombe apparently *eek* are being targetted by these mischievous little scamps.

Don't you find it odd that we're increasingly isolated from risk and danger in virtually every walk of life, but we (and rather more worryingly, our children) are able to buy explosives over the counter *confused*

It was dangerous enough when I was a kid, when 'bangers' really should have been called 'phutters', but the Chinese fireworks available these days are HUGE

BANG! Haaaaar Haaaaar, wot a larf! Well I haven't had an uninterrupted night's sleep for weeks and I'm not bloody laughing *mad*

Angry of Sidcup

• 11 months later...

Quite agree. Once a year, or even a few displays spread over a week is enough.

Round me, every weekend in summer sees someone having a birthday party that culminates in a re-creation of the battle of Jutland over their lawn at midnight. Wakes everyone up, scares every dog and cat in the neighbourhood and leaves a trail of spent ordnance over the surrounding area.

We seem to have avoided the worst excesses of the fireworks-as-bazookas epidemic, but Imeantersay, what's the sense in letting people buy this dangerous stuff over the counter when I have to sign a legal waiver to buy a burger cooked medium rare?!?!

I still like big, well organised displays at the appropriate time, though.

In summary: keep it special, keep it to November 5th and let the pros do it. Meldrew speaks. I thank you. 😬 Vote for me.

Agreed, I don't believe they should be on sale to anybody other than licensed people who use them for public displays only and where the appropriate safety measures can be taken.

And we have to stop our 2 cats from going out to watch fireworks as they both love 'em 😬 They will sit on the window sill for hours watching them. I swear you can hear them going OooooOOOOOooohhh........AaaaaaaAAAAaaahhhh

😬 😬 😬

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. Gad these things are expensive

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 3 Nov 2004 09:05:44

Pah.

I have a display most years for friends and family at my house, either for a joint birthday party for me and Miss Mav, or to celebrate Guy Fawkes.

I have Large Single ignition cakes, that last for anywhere between 30 second and 3 minutes per cake.

My Display usually lasts for 30 - 40 minutes, and I invite all of the neighbours, so they can't complain about the noise, the pets, or even just not being aware.

I ensure that all of the people who attend are safe behind an 8 foot brick wall, that itself is over 20m friom where the fireworks are let off.

A fire extinguisher, bucket of sand and a hose pipe are all set up and ready for use, should they ever bee needed (not so far and I've been doing this for the last 6 years or so...

I do object to fireworks being sold to minors, and object ot Sparkelers completely, regardless of who they are to be used by.

I enjoy fireworks at all times of the year, wether they be at a professional display, or a a celebration, so long as they are used in a controlled environment and are not accessable to minors / unresponsible people.

Perhaps my views will change when I become an old fuddy duddy *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

so Mav, is this years display on this w/e??? I might be passing chester on friday evening or sunday evening..

But anyway,

all this safety smafety stuff is sooooo boring.

I remember when at university 6 of us crowded into the 10' by 15' garden, and proceeded to launch fireworks by using 2 bricks to hold up a drain pipe and then lighting blue touch paper, stuffing the firework up the pipe and carefully stepping over the bonfire to get as far away as possible (about 5 ').

far more fun!!

no idea where half the fireworks went, but hey the beer was good!! 😬 😬