Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting and Oil Cooler to a X-Flow 1700 Supersprint?

masha

I'd appreciate any feedback on where to get an oil cooler at a reasonable price that will fit the welded brackets already on my '85 car.

Also - I'd like to fit it without going to the expense of a full dry-sump outfit.

If anyone's done this please advise on where I should connect the cooler in-line for the best effect on my standard 1700 crossflow.

Any related info also appreciated

Thanks

Matthew

You don't need to go dry sump. What you do is to fit a special sandwich plate between the oil pump and filter which has a feed and return to the oil cooler. You then simply fit the cooler to the brackets (although we prefer to fit the cooler behind the radiator to keep the water cooling efficient) and connect the two together with hoses. We always try and persuade customers to opt for a sandwich plate with an integral thermostat so that the oil isn't cooled too much.

When is it advisable to fit an oil cooler to a X/flow, do they cook their oil easily?

In my youth, no boy racer in a mini could be taken seriously without a bit of cut-away grill with a cooler poking out. And yes you guessed it no one took me seriously...

Oils have moved on a bit and sevens, as a rule, don't have the gears in the sump, so is an oil cooler for serious track days and very high tunes only?

James

Edited by - James Arnold on 15 Mar 2001 17:26:07