Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Low sulphur and 7's

stevefoster

The sulphur in fuel is not an additive, its something that the fuel companies have not bothered to take out. By 2005 all fuels have to have a very low sulphur content as a byproduct of combustion is sulphur dioxide leading to sulphuric acid (or acid rain). There should not be any effects from removing the sulphur and so as long as the Octane rating of the fuel that you use is the same there should be no problems.

Sulphur in fuel has a lubricating effect in such items as fuel injectors. When low sulphur diesel was brought onto the market there were some considerable problems with (I think) the injector pumps(rotary Lucas units?)in small GM diesels.

I have been trying to get some test data on these new gasolenes but so far failed. I will not be using it in my k series with injectors until I am convinced that injector life is not reduced.

Tony, if you're worried about sulphur then use 97 Ron as it is still exclusively 'high' (150ppm) sulphur. A lot of garages have been selling low sulphur 95 Ron for over a year now so you may already have been buying it without realising.

Andy