Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yoko AO539's

zak

Can anyone tell me if these tyres are any good for a Caterham? I can get these for ~£45 plus VAT as opposed to ~£72 for Yokos listed on Caterham's site. I bet Polley does AO21's and 32s cheaper than caterham but would like to know more about 539s.

thanks 😬

Zak

See my car here

• Support Team

Zak,

539's are normal road tyres suitable for heavier cars so are not the last word in performance for a 7. That said they appear to be one of the better "normal" offerings and a fair number of people use them. They will last forever on a seven.

A021R's and A032R's are much softer compund rubber (the R stands for race) and therefore offer more grip and they will warm up more quickly. As they are softer they will wear quickly but you can get several thousand mile out of them - I got around 5000 road miles and 2 trackdays out of the set that were fitted on mine when I got it. The second set have done a couple of trackdays and 3000 road miles and still have a fair bit of life in them. You won't be able to get these tyres at your local quick fit place as Yokohama only allow motorsport places to sell them - the tyres are not really designed for road use even though they have a DOT rating. I can heartily recommend A021R's.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

If you are at the lighter end of 500kg then don't, unless you drive like a fairy, get something else.

Anything else.

I should have waited for the 21's to come available, or gone for the cr500's.

Hope this helps.

☹️BB ☹️

*smile*Vorsprung Durch Armco *idea*

PS read angusandtessa's website for an unbiased review of the offerings from Yoko.

Edited by - Badger Bill on 31 Oct 2003 11:40:15

Edited by - Badger Bill on 31 Oct 2003 11:49:33

Thanks for the link BB!

Agree with above. We have just had some more 48's fitted (get this over 32's if you can - bit more expensive but better in the standing water) even though winter approaches. If you are not sure about these, 21's are also Bl*ody good.

I will update the website with more up to date info and experiences on 48's, but it will all be good.

Updated MODEL and Cartoon pictures at mycaterham.com

here

50,000miles in 2 years

Thanks very much indeed for all the good info.

Personally, I run CR500's on 15" R400 wheels. I am not as good as the tyres so theres not much point in me trying anything better..!

I am making the enquiry re Yoko's for PeeWee (are you there? *confused*) and I can source non race tyres for a reasonable price hence my questions. Hes got some horrendous DitchFinders 🙆🏻 on a 14" inch wheel that I think hes used for a year without wearing off the mould marks yet. *eek*

cheers All *thumbup*

Zak

See my car here

My car found the ditch, not fast, just drifted off at walking pace... ☹️

at least I got out.

I honestly blame the rubber.

Tell your man to get the best he can afford and stop pound pinching on questionably the most important bit of kit on his car. *thumbup* *eek*

☹️BB ☹️

*smile*Vorsprung Durch Armco *idea*

I have had A539's on 15" rims for 9 months. I have found them a capable tyre and leave them on the car for general use. (I am lucky enough to have a set of 13" rims with A032's). I Did use the A539'9s on the track once and they coped OK but then I was my first trackday so did not push the car too hard.

Undoubtedly the A021's, A032's, A048's are better tyres especially when dry and on track but the A539's offer very good value for money for a general tyre.

i have yoko 21's on 13" rims, and yoko a539 on 14" rims....

a539's are an excellent 'normal' tyre, with far superior grip to standard michelins or avons, grip is good both wet or dry, and wear is pretty acceptable for a hard driven car.

a21's are gripper in the dry, but not much different in the wet - they cost about the same but last 1/3rd of the time due to being softer.

for outright performance A21 are nearly unbeatable at the (polley) price. for good performance and a bit more wallet friendly durability the a539's are a good bet. and a539's are available from polley to you know....

if you do road miles only (a few thousand per year) A21's are the daddy. if you do 5000+ miles and the odd track day I would consider the a539 as VFM alternative.