Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mornin' / Apocalypse then.

KevSull Too

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real world seemed a universe away as my two man team, like the rest of the platoon made there way through the cold Boondocks to our lying-up positions.

Man it was windy and cold but as the saying goes - it don't mean nothing, it don't mean a thing. We made our way to a high point so we could keep eyes on our guys and the surroundings.

Seven number one, westie number 10 someone had scrawled on the bunker we had found. The wire sang with the wind...Good Morning Sil-vastone.

A long column passed and keeping up was Pat - right in the middle of the pack, his thousand tyard stare visible from our vantage point.

Silence....the calm before the storm....it was like someone had turned all the light on, then off, then all hell let loose. Uncle RT, the god of artillery, opened up and the firestorm began with a Fury...(might have been a radical *wink*)

War is hell and this was no exception - and it's always the innocents that suffer. the Morris Minors were out gunned but battled against overwhelming odds surely those guys knew bettr than to bring a knife to a gun fight.....

TBC

We weren't the only SEALs (Seven Engineered Astronauts of Lotus) doing our thang in the jungle. But platoon pride was at stake - the Arkley Boys were a tight knit team and no one were gonna call'em a pushover.

The calls came in thick and fast from our ambush positions - the spotters commentary being picked up Gunney Rach and passed on to HQ. Signals were going up around the jungle, our boys were taking and giving fire..there were places to run but no where to hide.

When suddenly the plan hit a wall and so did nearly a porker that left a trail of oil. It was terribler, man, lubricant and water flying everywhere. The only thing to do was put the safety on and hold tight.

Pat was steady - lesser operators were coming unglued and off the track but the likeable Irish lad who had brought the shedders to the NAM held his nerve and equipment together.

Co-pse had claimed many of the unwary - including a fellow 7 Div operator who clashed with a Fury. One 7 boy lost it completely, he must have hit a mine cos next thang we knew a wheel arch had been blown into the air - flesh wound. Our boys held steady.

TBC

Edited by - Boonie on 31 Oct 2003 13:44:59

Hanoi Hannah was blasting out the propoganda over the PA while Noger, I and Windy got some scoff down us in the fox hole. Steve-B had been and gone - he had explained that when he got back to the world he was gonna organise a 40 car blat back in the good-ol US of A....In the boonies a man has to have a dream.

Our point man came in - he had been in that jungle for around an hour and a half - under seige but always holding his own.

The change over was smooth with Geoff calmly taking the fight to the enemy. A bentley popped smoke and we could hear the Whump, whumpo, whump of inbound Hueys.

C-rations are good but you can't live on em. Rach-O-2-Zero to Copse - com'on in lads you've done ya time on stag. Jase took the radio from our cold hands the gleam of battle in his eye.

The Pitt was busy. The SEALs were checking and rechecking their equipment under the watchful eye of Lt Gerard. GTD was in the thick of it...Westies to the left of him Radicals to the right.

Lee and Elizabeth had managed to fill up our canteens from the PX. While Pat jnr and Siobhan were cammoflauging themselves with reflective strips - the better to blend in with some of the more garish operators out there and gain more information.

Mrs Pat tended to our footsore needs - making sure we had a hot drink. Through the battle raging beyond the pit defences I glimpsed FH, Mav and Alex giving no quarter and asking for none.

While over the crackling Comms we heard the voices of Dave, Jase, Tam, Mr C, Myles, Ballast. Lee, ELizabeth and Powderpuff. I think there were more...but would we all be getting back.

TBC

Was it a loan sniper? An unlucky shot - we'll never know but the comms net went wild. Base our man is taking heavy fire, I repeat heavy fire he is calling for immediate heli-vac. I repeat he is coming into the pitt.

Sure enough Geoff had been winged and a sharp sighted spotter had made the call. His equipment had given up before the plucky SEAL could complete his tour of duty. But he had taken on Triumphs, TVRs and came out ahead.

Strapped in to his bird it was time for Andy Baylie to launch. The Air Cav had arrived and the rest of the field was gonna get'some. Straight into the fray this man was on a mission.

....and it was time for Windy and I to hump ruck to Priory where Tam and Mr C had been holding the wire.

TBC

Not as far as I'm aware - I just thought Pat might appreciate them as all my other Irish friends speak of them in wistful, hushed tones.

There are pillow size bags on sale at Dublin airport at the last shop on the way to the gates, so they must have great ritual cultural significance. The same is true of Seabrook's crisps and Ben Shaw's soft drinks to my wife, an ardent Yorkshire nationalist.

Not wishing to give too much away, but Boonie did ask me to organise his stag do 3 years ago along the R'n'R in Nam theme. He's a sad puppy but we have to humour him *smile*

It did make the rest of the group easy to spot in Hawaian shirts out clubbing in January. Just don't ask him what he ended up wearing 😬

Windy

Red and Black 1.8K