Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Oil Surge

Nick VVC

I noticed in other postings references to VVCs not being recommended for track days because they suffer from oil surge.

Am I right in thinking that oil surge = sudden drop in oil pressure (i.e. like I've sometimes noticed when looping roundabouts!)?

If so, what causes it? Is it a problem? Is there a solution - especialy as I'm hoping to do some track days this year.

Thanks

Nick

Oil surge is caused by the oil in a wet sump being pulled away from the oil pump pickup during hard cornering and breaking causing a fluctuating oil pressure. Yes it is a problem and will almost certainly lead to premiture wear and possible failure if not addressed.

Unfortunately the VVC is particularly sensitve to oil surge, as it needs a good flow of oil to the head in order to work the VVC mechanism. The other problem with the VVC is that it uses as standard a larger heavier flywheel which will not fit into the Caterham dry sump bell tank.

Fitment of an Accusump may help to maintain pressure. Fitment of the Apollo tank system is another option this will help to keep the oil free from bubbles but cannot help much with surge as the engine still picks its oil up out of the sump and then pressurises the Apollo tank

Edited by - Rob walker on 14 Mar 2001 09:31:58

Keep the car as standard and avoid circuits with very long fast bends!

I fitted an Apollo tank after driving at Magny Cours were there is a long long fast bend that allowed the pump to draw lots of air. I had not noticed a problem on short sharp 7 type circuits.

On a normal k it is not a good idea but on a VVC engine you realy do have to be fussy about the lubrication of the cam control mechanisms

If the problem with dry sumping a VVC is the large flywheel as detailed above then you could use a seperate tank dry sump system a la Xflow. I'm waiting for a guinea pig to try the Accusump I reckon it could be a good alternative that maintains oil pressure and increases oil capacity the only downside is extra weight.

Nick

I have run my VVC with the apollo tank for the last two years with track time in the UK and last year's Le Sept. I have had no problems but find the VVC runs low on oil pressure anyway in normal road use! Caterham say this is normal. Has anyone any comments?

Martyn.

My VVC used to run with relatively low oil presure, especially when hot. I had an anti cav tank fitted and probably a number of trackdays like that without any issues. However, it was the fact that I couldn't find any tried and tested VVC dry sump conversion, that lead me to change the car for a dry sumped 7.

The Caterham brochure says "for the occasional trackday" for the VVC and I think that this advice is probably right. However, the VVC is a very good engine and I had no problems with mine apart from some issues with plugs.

I understand that there is a VVC race series in Germany, so either there isn't so much of a problem as we think or they have cracked the oil surge issues.

Andy

Nick,

Well I guess the Apollo tank has improved the situation in that oil foam is less likely to be pumped up to the cams during fast cornering. It has increased the oil capacity of the engine quite dramatically so there is more in circulation.

Was it easy to fit?

The bits were sent with the worst set of instructions and photo copied photos I have ever seen. What you have to do is tighten the oil pipe fittings that attach to the sandwitch plate under the filter before you fit the plate, because trying to tighten them when it is in place needs a special crows-foot spanner.

You need lots of cable ties to make sure the pipes hold their position through the alternator belt but its not difficult if you do thinks in the correct order.