Click here if you are having website access problems ×

magnet on a bendy stick

Tony Martyr

I bought this device at a car show years ago. It is a powerful 3mm dia magnet mounted on a thin alloy wire and handle that can be bent into any old shape. I thought it might be useful for fishing out dropped screws. It sat in the box for years.

Last weekend, still recovering from flu picked up in Canada where they brew up a powerful brand of flu, I decided to fit the new throttle quadrant and linkage to the TBs.

OK I gave up my own design because it was crap and gave long linear pedal movement.

So engaging the 5mm Nylok nut onto the top rose joint is not easy and I dropped the nut. It did not fall on the floor. It was not visible on any of the engine ledges under the linkage.

It had bounced into the open flywheel cavity and lodged inside one of the machined holes, used as timing marks, machined into the back of the flywheel. It was in a hole below the bottom of the open space, just visible in a torch beam.

Out came my bendy stick and miniture magnet. Just one chance or plop into the bottom of the flywheel housing.

It worked. Nut retrieved. Hole blocked up with paper towel before the second attempt.

Its back in the box and may not come out for 10 more years to be sold with the Seven but its earned its place.

The throttle is now fantastic. very hair trigger and progressive, not so much movement rather pressure to squeeze on the power. I should have bought it in the first place.

This reminds me of the day in the Student Union car park at B'ham University attempting to service my first pride & joy: a Mk 1 Ford Cortina. Took the contact set off to replace with a new one & dropped the screw into the distributor. I could see it but couldn't reach it. My tool kit at that time consisted of a few adjustable spanners & the odd screw driver so no help there. Then a flash of inspiration: all I need is a pair of tweezers. The 5th girl I accosted agreed to lend me her eye-brow tweezers & I retrieved the said screw in double quick time, hence the tweezers in my tool kit should anyone want to borrow them.

Mick